Question Thinkpad T14 - wont power on unless you press on the bottom hard

supermario182

Reputable
Jan 9, 2021
Hello,

Got a cheap refurbished T14 gen 2 that I've been fixing up. It has a weird issue were it won't power on unless I press hard on the back side a certain way, to the point that its bending the whole thing. I've just been leaving it on and plugged in, as I'm worried this may cause more damage, but it would be nice to take it somewhere and be able to turn it on without issue.

If you just press power the fan spins for a few seconds than goes off and nothing happens, and you have to unplug everything and hit the reset button to try again.
At first I thought it was due to a little switch I saw inside, which I assume is there to check if the cover is back on properly or not, but even taping that thing down didn't help.
I think I read somewhere that theres some kind of sensor that detects if the heatsink is attached properly and it may cause a similar issue, so I removed it and reseated it but still no luck.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas how to fix this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

Got a cheap refurbished T14 gen 2 that I've been fixing up. It has a weird issue were it won't power on unless I press hard on the back side a certain way, to the point that its bending the whole thing. I've just been leaving it on and plugged in, as I'm worried this may cause more damage, but it would be nice to take it somewhere and be able to turn it on without issue.

If you just press power the fan spins for a few seconds than goes off and nothing happens, and you have to unplug everything and hit the reset button to try again.
At first I thought it was due to a little switch I saw inside, which I assume is there to check if the cover is back on properly or not, but even taping that thing down didn't help.
I think I read somewhere that theres some kind of sensor that detects if the heatsink is attached properly and it may cause a similar issue, so I removed it and reseated it but still no luck.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas how to fix this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Maybe a swollen battery ?

Reactions: geofelt

supermario182

Reputable
Jan 9, 2021
  1. Ask the seller for an exchange unit.
  2. If not possible, inspect the PCB for dry solder joints.
1. It was as is, and I was aware of the issue, and they dont have anything else near as good as this was, and for that reason I got a very very good deal on it.

2. This is what I've been leaning towards, I've taken a close glance at the board several times and didn't notice anything yet but I think I will have to really take it apart and pull the board out completely to get a real good look at it.

supermario182

Reputable
Jan 9, 2021
Update: Also I thought there was an issue with the speaker so I ordered a replacement, but its doing the same thing. Theres a loud squealing/high pitched noise coming out of the speakers when you power on and during boot, then afterwards anytime a sound is played there is also the high pitch noise and static. So maybe thats related somehow