Thinkpad T420s notebook shutting down randomly

tfastg

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T20s that has been shutting down without warning and at seemingly random moments. Before describing further, here are the specs:

• Intel Core i7 2620M 2.70 GHz
    NVIDIA NVS 4200 and Intel HD Graphics
    8 GB RAM
    If any other specs are needed just let me know

I've had the notebook for about a year. It came with Windows 7 Professional installed and had no issues with this setup. I upgraded to Windows 10... had no issues just long enough to miss the downgrade window. Then the laptop started shutting off randomly.

It doesn't seem to happen when doing resource heavy actions, rather it's when I'm checking email or writing in Microsoft Word. I've checked hardware temps: cpu and gpu stay around 55c on average and 85c max; and as I said, the shutdowns don't seem to happen at times of heavy usage.

I also did a fresh install of Windows 10, and dual-booted Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1. In Windows, the problem persists. Even in Linux, the notebook continues to randomly shut-off, although curiously the "Shut down this system now?" window pops up 1-2 seconds before powering off (it won't let me cancel either). I'd guess it's a hardware issue, but I haven't the slightest idea how to start troubleshooting that, or how to know when I've fixed the problem.

Losing work unexpectedly has got to stop. I really like this laptop but this problem is making it unusable. Please help!
Thanks so much.

Samaratin

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
ok, while you have only had the notebook about a year, that processor came out in 2011. I'm guessing you got it used. As such, Look at the vents.. how much dust do you see. When you use your system, is the bottom or sections of the keyboard extra hot to the touch? I'm guessing its shutting down due to overheating, and you'll need to clean it out with some compressed air.