[SOLVED] Thinkpad T480 RAM Upgrade

May 23, 2020
Hello everyone 👋 !

I have a Thinkpad T480 with 8 Gigs of RAM. I am considering increasing the memory capacity. I believe this supports up to 32 Gigs of RAM (Maybe more?). Here are the questions I don't have answers to:

1. Can I buy another stick which is not 8GB and if I did will that work fine with the machine? I have read in the past that the other stick needs to be similar (same memory size at the very least) to work normally.
  2. Do you have any suggestions for good memory sticks? I got this laptop in the US, current I am in India.

product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
size: 1380MHz
capacity: 4GHz
width: 64 bits

*-memory
description: System memory
size: 8064MiB

Solution
Go to a ram web site such as kingston or crucial and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop and you will get a list of supported kits.
In the event that you can not find the recommended kingston or crucial ram, make a note of the specs as to speed, voltage and timings.
Likely a kit with the same specs will work.

You can get the details of your current ram by running cpu-Z
Intel does not have a problem with ram of different sizes.
If you have 4gb and add a supported 8gb module, the matched 4gb will be in dual channel mode and the odd 4gb will be in single channel mode.
That is called flex mode.
You may find that you want to replace all the ram for 2 x 8gb.
Go to a ram web site such as kingston or crucial and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop and you will get a list of supported kits.
In the event that you can not find the recommended kingston or crucial ram, make a note of the specs as to speed, voltage and timings.
Likely a kit with the same specs will work.

You can get the details of your current ram by running cpu-Z
Intel does not have a problem with ram of different sizes.
If you have 4gb and add a supported 8gb module, the matched 4gb will be in dual channel mode and the odd 4gb will be in single channel mode.
That is called flex mode.
You may find that you want to replace all the ram for 2 x 8gb.

Solution