[SOLVED] Thinkpad X1 Gen 9 switches location on its own

Mar 26, 2023
I have the Thinkpad X1 Gen 9 running on Windows 11. It works well but has an annoying habit that is intermittent. When I open a document in MS Word, or want to view a movie using VLC media player, the document/movie opens but within seconds switches back to the desktop or folder it is located in. I then have to go back to the document or movie. When the laptop was new I don't remember this happening. It's just over a year old now and I'm not sure what has changed. Is there a way to stop this?

To clarify what it sounds like: do you mean the program (movie player, document viewer, etc) continues to run but is retired to a task on the taskbar which is not displayed? Is this a touchscreen laptop?

Possible hardware causes to rule out would include the keyboard (are any keys sticking?) or a touchscreen if present (cracked or otherwise damaged screens can cause 'phantom clicks')
Software causes can be considered of course; as a starter does the same happen in safe mode?

Mar 26, 2023
Yes it continues to run, I can even hear the sound from the movie, but it is not the active window, rather the previous location wherever I accessed the document/movie from becomes the active location.

Yes it's a touchscreen laptop.
No keys are sticking and the touchscreen is in excellent condition. No damage.

I haven't tried it in safe mode as it's an intermittent problem. I can do that, though, and see.