ThinkVision 28 is a 4K Display With Android and Tegra Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zac Lloyd-Jones

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
@otacon72

Unless you are a foot or two away from it, like say using the touchscreen you should be able to notice. Its all about viewing distances. 4K on a 55" TV is even stupid if its too far away from you to benefit, but get close enough, and have the right content you will see it.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I can notice the PPI difference on my Yoga 2 and buddy's retina, and those are resolutions less than 4K...

You can have 4K on large TV with standard density or smaller device and have higher PPI, either one is noticeable.

Aaron Briggs

Honorable
May 13, 2013
to bad most APPs wont even run at native 4k, most likely just stupid upscaling, oh well Apps are crappy anyways. dont need to play Angry birds in 4k tyvm.

B4vB5

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
This will likely be a sweet screen to free up space on the physical desk for those two 27s I use today, each 1080 which means 127cm width covered. Developing it that is good but can lead to some headturning and having it all covered twice even in just one 28 inch screen would be a very nice "touch".

And touch will just add to productivity the same way it did on my laptop, this screen is bloody perfect except the tall pricetag. Just hope it will be decent build quality.

Jgriff

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
If I can't hardly tell the difference between a 720p 32 inch tv and a 1080p 32 inch tv...how will this be any different?

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
This is a monitor not a TV Jgriff. Trying to be productvie on a 720p monitor is near impossible. Not enough space or resolution to multitask properly. The difference between 720p and 1080 is a lot more different when you're using the device as a monitor. Same will stand when we go from 1080p to 4k. Nearly twice the space. Able to have more programs, etc. 3d Modeling on a 4K monitor would be great. Each quadrant is full size. Even at 1080 it doesn't feel that I have enough space.

darknate

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
@otacon
So by your logic, PPI means nothing. So anyone with a iPhone 4 or later has no PPI benefit over a 3gs, there is no need for 1080p when 480p will suffice.

Unless you mean to say that without native support, there is no difference with content for 4k over 1080p. But like it has been said, there is more of a need for these over content based use (games, videos, movies). The added virtual real estate will be welcomed.

ioconnor

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

I'm using three 2560x1440 ~30" monitors connected to one workstation for mostly text based work. Not video or pictures. I wish they were 33" or 40" monitors because at 2560x1440 the text is bordering on being too small. I often increase the size. At 28" this monitor is only for artists or posers, that is Apple consumers, and certainly not for text based work... (Though it will help bring down the costs of everything else.)

swordrage

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Iconnor, the fault is with windows. I am surprised Microsoft is still not doing any thing to scale texts properly for different resolutions except for applying default 150% zoom. Even android and iOS are doing it somewhat better. I hope the next version of office and the browsers do a better job of scaling texts based on size, i.e. in millimeters, not based on pixels. For example, a 5mm size letter looks better and crispier when it is shaped by 20 or so pixels rather than 10. So, an application should be able to detect the size and resolution of a display and scale the texts accordingly. In a phone or small tablet, a letter should be about 3 to 4mm size while that for a 27 inch monitor should be about 7 to 8 mm. It was just that simple. Damn you Microsoft! You make windows take 20gigs of space and still can't implement this?

hannibal

Distinguished
I have 27" 2560*1440 with wieving distance of 35-40 cm (about 15") and would not mind of getting more sharper text with higher resolution! Good to see these products coming!

Sep 22, 2013
So this is essentially a 28", non-portable Android device for $1199? I could have sworn you said it was made by Lenovo, not Apple.

Just like the rumored 12" iPad for "enterprise use" (that's laughable) this is a device solution without a need.

@ioconnor... so why exactly ARE you using that resolution? And 3 monitors to boot? It doesn't make sense to me, but then I don't know what your specific job is. Just curious what the purpose is because it just seems like it would make text-based work more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.