News Third-Party GPU Makers Respond to Nvidia RTX 30-Series Crash to Desktop Issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I'm curious to know how NVIDIA would be scared of a product they have no access to and unless it was the pointy haired bosses sniffing WCCFTech news posts all day, would have no reason to speculate what kind of product AMD would have other than to take AMD's official word... which is about as good as anyone else's. Granted RDNA1 put up a good show, but would it be enough to make NVIDIA scared pantless over the next generation?
As I said, it LOOKS like nVidia is afraid, I never said that they were and I don't believe that they are. If I were nVidia, I sure wouldn't be because I would be quite comfortable knowing that there are a crap-tonne of people who will buy my product no matter how good or bad it is and in this case, it's damn good so there's no need to rush anything!

Are you saying that a slower and more orderly launch wouldn't have been better?
If anything, I'm more willing to believe NVIDIA wanted at least something good to come out of this year to make the investors happy. Looks like that's starting to backfire.
What do you mean "at least something"? You are aware that nVidia bought ARM this year, right? Do you really think that a video card launch even comes close to that? Trust me, it doesn't. A video card launch may seem like a big deal to you, but it's nothing compared to the purchase of ARM so no, that's not what it is either. The purchase of ARM has made 2020 a banner year for nVidia and it would have remained a banner year even if the RTX 30 series was terrible.

I never said I understood why they did this, I actually said the opposite. I said that nVidia is acting like they're afraid and I'm mystified because I know that's not it. They didn't scurry around like this even when it was known that they were about to get beat by the HD 7970, they kept their cool. I have no idea why nVidia did their launch the way they did because it's not like product launches are a new thing for them. I've always been impressed by nVidia's product launches (well, except for the Turing launch but the rest were great).

I said "something's up" and I believe that something is but I also believe that none of us know what that is.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Seems like Nvidia let the boost go a little to high, probably to get the benchmarks higher to push the hype train. Now they will reduce the max boost to make them stable while reducing the performance.

physics2010

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Love to see the before and after benchmarks on an ASUS card for this driver. Reduced performance? Higher performance with reduced thermals?