[SOLVED] This 2080 I have gets extremely high in temps

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080

Now I will say I went to nvidia drivers and chose "2080 Ti" since that is what I thought my GPU was, but I noticed it said "2080" in Task Manager.

That could be one reason why my temps or whatever is messed up, but it seemed to fix itself.

Though every game I run, the temps will skyrocket all the way to 80 and above. I used DDU to uninstall my previous 2070 Super, but it seems that is better than a 2080.

Fortnite runs insanely hot when using unlimited frames or any setting medium and above.

Why is this happening? Is it a driver issue or what? My fans are at 100%, no overclock. I don't have a case, so it's open air and my room is pretty chilly right now. My feet don't have much feeling in them lol

Solution
The graph here, shows that your GPU went up to 79 degrees which is tolerable for sure. But I am very confused with your first post:

How did you THINK you had a 2080 Ti? It's a far better and more expensive card than a 2080. If you spend that amount of money and got a 2080 is scamming. If you did pay the correct amount for a 2080 and someone told you that it's a 2080 Ti, it's somewhat scamming as well.
What is the EXACT model of your 2080? Is it with a blower style? Can you take a picture or google it and send us the link?
Tolerable, but shouldn't explain the low settings making it get so hot.

As for thinking I had a 2080 Ti, it is my brothers. He got a 3080 and stopped using the 2080. I thought before he got the 3080, he...

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
What is the peak temperature? 80c is high for a 2080 but not dangerously so.

What case do you have and how many intake and exhaust fans do you have.
Peak got to 86 I think and 88 is the limit, isn't it?

I don't have a case. The only thing to go off of is that my room is super cold and my 2070 Super never even got to 60C

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Ok that is too hot. I mean what pc case? Are the gpu fans actually spinning. You with have a problem with with the gpu cooler or the airflow in your pc case or both.
Yeah, too hot I'm sure.

No PC Case. I have this: https://www.amazon.com/Motherboard-Transparent-Acrylic-Overlock-Computer/dp/B07KXMNZC1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=acrylic+test+bench+pc&qid=1604229293&sr=8-1&th=1

GPU fans are spinning, yes.

Could it possibly be the driver thing? Should I DDU it?

EDIT: I could get a fan to blow air at my PC, but let me know what you think.
EDIT 2: Idle temps when fan speed is at 100% is 38C, which is great... but that's at idle.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Okay so I just tried to reinstall ALL the GPU drivers by doing DDU and that didn't do anything. Running Fortnite right now, unlimited frames, low settings with resolution at 100%, and I'm getting 70C and up. It did stay at 60C for like maybe 1 minute or 2, but then just started going up and up and up slowly.

0qzN9DY.png

Last edited:
Yeah, too hot I'm sure.

No PC Case. I have this: https://www.amazon.com/Motherboard-Transparent-Acrylic-Overlock-Computer/dp/B07KXMNZC1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=acrylic+test+bench+pc&qid=1604229293&sr=8-1&th=1

GPU fans are spinning, yes.

Could it possibly be the driver thing? Should I DDU it?

EDIT: I could get a fan to blow air at my PC, but let me know what you think.
EDIT 2: Idle temps when fan speed is at 100% is 38C, which is great... but that's at idle.
It not the driver, it will use the same driver. You should not need to point a fan at the gpu. If the fans are at 100% then it seems likely a problem with the cooler itself. It may be time to remove the cooler from the gpu and replace the thermal paste.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
It not the driver, it will use the same driver. You should not need to point a fan at the gpu. If the fans are at 100% then it seems likely a problem with the cooler itself. It may be time to remove the cooler from the gpu and replace the thermal paste.
Would it be the thermal paste or the cooler?

Would I need thermal pads? What would you recommend?

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Key word here is "unlimited". When that option is enabled, a GPU runs at highest usage to get you highest FPS achievable. That means it will get hot. Capping your fps will reduce temperature.
Right, but when I enable graphical settings, it goes near 88C or over, which is the temp limit, right?

That itself is not normal. It should be staying near 60's and 70's, not 80's and above.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Ummmmm.... no. Where in my reply does it say "80C"?

FYI: 70 is not 80

All your posts are very confusing! WHAT ARE YOUR TEMPS RIGHT THIS VERY MOMENT IF YOU PLAY A GAME??
Temps will go near 88C with unlimited FPS, lowest settings (super important to know that), and the fans then go into overdrive so the brick (GPU) thing doesn't melt itself.

Does that make more sense? I personally don't think it does because temps like that with really low settings shouldn't be near conventional oven temperature :/

EDIT: I know my previous reply says higher graphics settings makes temps super high, but unlimited FPS alone is just as bad or close to it. Also, I said "near 80C." There's no need to lead into an argument.
FYI: "Near 80C" doesn't mean 70C

Last edited:
Okay so I just tried to reinstall ALL the GPU drivers by doing DDU and that didn't do anything. Running Fortnite right now, unlimited frames, low settings with resolution at 100%, and I'm getting 70C and up. It did stay at 60C for like maybe 1 minute or 2, but then just started going up and up and up slowly.

0qzN9DY.png
The graph here, shows that your GPU went up to 79 degrees which is tolerable for sure. But I am very confused with your first post:
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080

Now I will say I went to nvidia drivers and chose "2080 Ti" since that is what I thought my GPU was, but I noticed it said "2080" in Task Manager.

That could be one reason why my temps or whatever is messed up, but it seemed to fix itself.

Though every game I run, the temps will skyrocket all the way to 80 and above. I used DDU to uninstall my previous 2070 Super, but it seems that is better than a 2080.

Fortnite runs insanely hot when using unlimited frames or any setting medium and above.

Why is this happening? Is it a driver issue or what? My fans are at 100%, no overclock. I don't have a case, so it's open air and my room is pretty chilly right now. My feet don't have much feeling in them lol
How did you THINK you had a 2080 Ti? It's a far better and more expensive card than a 2080. If you spend that amount of money and got a 2080 is scamming. If you did pay the correct amount for a 2080 and someone told you that it's a 2080 Ti, it's somewhat scamming as well.
What is the EXACT model of your 2080? Is it with a blower style? Can you take a picture or google it and send us the link?

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017

Tolerable, but shouldn't explain the low settings making it get so hot.

As for thinking I had a 2080 Ti, it is my brothers. He got a 3080 and stopped using the 2080. I thought before he got the 3080, he bought a 2080 Ti due to the temp issues. There clearly is a temp issue. Looking at the thermal paste inside, it was really hard and super brittle. I just replaced it and now it's even worse. This 2080 is defective. It could also be that the thermal pads don't do anything as well, but replace the thermal paste made it worse and I'm just gonna go back to my 2070 Super.

I find it aggravating that every time I do try to find some help, I just figure it out myself afterwards even though I give enough statistics to tell others that it's obviously not working right.

TL;DR The 2080 is definitely manufactured with some error and sounds like a fkn blow-dryer every time I start a game. Thanks for the help. I appreciate @sizzling for trying to dive deeper into the situation. My 2070 Super will be just fine.

Solution
Looking at the thermal paste inside, it was really hard and super brittle. I just replaced it and now it's even worse.
That means what you did, was wrongly done. Either you did not use the correct pads, or you did not spread it evenly, or you did not tighten the screws enough, or many other things.

I find it aggravating that every time I do try to find some help, I just figure it out myself afterwards even though I give enough statistics to tell others that it's obviously not working right.

I am really sorry that you feel that way, people did try to help you and you did NOT find the solution. You assume the 2080 is bad. You also did not answer about the model or if it's a blower style card.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
That means what you did, was wrongly done. Either you did not use the correct pads, or you did not spread it evenly, or you did not tighten the screws enough, or many other things.
Not sure what I would have done wrong if I repeated the steps, but backwards. Jayztwocents is a great YouTuber for information with this :)

I am really sorry that you feel that way, people did try to help you and you did NOT find the solution. You assume the 2080 is bad. You also did not answer about the model or if it's a blower style card.
I know people did try to help, but SOME could not find the solution. I did assume it was bad because it is. Look below and you'll see my 2070 Super performs immensely better than that defective 2080. It's Fortnite, everything low, unlimited FPS. 49-50 compared to a crappy 77-80+. Explain that.

I did not have to answer the model nor design because my 2070 Super would have been the same (which it is because both are from Gigabyte). Thanks for trying though, I guess?

Picture showing that my 2070 Super is completely fine, backing up my complaint that the 2080 was not manufactured correctly:
2e4S1PX.png

EDIT: If it makes you feel any better though, here you go -
2080: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Win...604256926&sprefix=rtx+2080+gig,aps,161&sr=8-1
2070 Super: https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Gra...002&sprefix=rtx+2070+super+gig,aps,163&sr=8-2

Following a guide certainly makes things easier but mistakes do happen. If you replaced the thermal paste and thermal pads and the temps were worse, you either made a mistake or bought a VERY bad quality thermal paste/pads. After the replacement you should have at least seen a little better temps even with a problematic card, which in your case, said it was worse. That made me think that you made a mistake in the process.

Gigabyte makes a lot of models. If the 2080 is a blower style card then the temps are NORMAL. If it is another cooler type then yeah, you need to ask for an RMA if it's still under warranty. From the pictures you linked, it does not seem to be the blower style and you should take the RMA road if they accept you replacing the thermal paste still under warranty.