Question This 3080 Ti At This Price Or Wait? Opinions Appreciated!

rockncountry

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I keep hearing that I should wait for the 4000 series and I am really tempted to do so. I would appreciate everyone's opinion. I have the option to buy an MSI RTX 3080 Ti for $739 brand new. It's the Ventus variety. I don't know anything about the 4000 series and won't until next week at the earliest. This will be sold out long before then. There's no way I'll be able to afford the 4090. I still have to upgrade CPU and MOBO. I'm looking at 2k gaming with some ray tracing and a SOLID 60 fps. Thanks in advance for your opinions and comments!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I keep hearing that I should wait for the 4000 series and I am really tempted to do so. I would appreciate everyone's opinion. I have the option to buy an MSI RTX 3080 Ti for $739 brand new. It's the Ventus variety. I don't know anything about the 4000 series and won't until next week at the earliest. This will be sold out long before then. There's no way I'll be able to afford the 4090. I still have to upgrade CPU and MOBO. I'm looking at 2k gaming with some ray tracing and a SOLID 60 fps. Thanks in advance for your opinions and comments!
WE CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT TO DO ONLY OFFER OPINIONS.

Looks like a good deal if you need a card then get it @2k and only wishing for 60FPS it should last you a long time before you need to upgrade again.

You will need a good power supply to go with it, for upgrading the CPU and motherboard that might not even be needed right now, if you can currently run your games 60FPS. You can try it by turning all settings off/low this will pretty much show you what FPS your current CPU can run at.

Reactions: rockncountry

rockncountry

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
WE CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT TO DO ONLY OFFER OPINIONS.

Looks like a good deal if you need a card then get it @2k and only wishing for 60FPS it should last you a long time before you need to upgrade again.

You will need a good power supply to go with it, for upgrading the CPU and motherboard that might not even be needed right now, if you can currently run your games 60FPS. You can try it by turning all settings off/low this will pretty much show you what FPS your current CPU can run at.

Yep, just opinions! Thanks. I have an EVGA 80+ Gold 850 watt PSU. I see that the CPU will bottleneck the GPU by 35.5% according to pc-builds.com. I don't know how accurate that website is. My CPU is the seemingly very popular for its time i5 6700k.

Sounds like 4080 will release in November, at what price and availability though I don't know. It's a good price for the card, it really depends on whether or not your likely to have buyers remorse if something twice as powerful comes along in a few months time.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, just opinions! Thanks. I have an EVGA 80+ Gold 850 watt PSU. I see that the CPU will bottleneck the GPU by 35.5% according to pc-builds.com. I don't know how accurate that website is. My CPU is the seemingly very popular for its time i5 6700k.
Never look at it like a bottleneck it's just a limiting factor and your limiting factor can change with different games. Bottleneck calculators are just bad in general.

i5 6600K 4 cores
i7 6700K 4 cores/8threads

Try running some of your games like I said with the settings off/low you might be surprised.

logainofhades

Titan
Brand new, that is a steal.

Bottleneck calculators are pure garbage. Definitely not something to trust. That said, even for 2k/1440p, I would say you are due for a CPU upgrade.

I assume you mean the i7 6700K and not the i5 6600K? I used a 3080 with my 6700K for 6 months until I upgraded to a 10850K. The 6700K can do a decent job at 60hz on most games, however a stronger CPU is advisable with such a powerful GPU. If you want to run something like Cyberpunk with Ray Tracing then you will need more than 4 cores.

rockncountry

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Sounds like 4080 will release in November, at what price and availability though I don't know. It's a good price for the card, it really depends on whether or not your likely to have buyers remorse if something twice as powerful comes along in a few months time.

The only way I would regret it would be if RT was twice as good at the same price.

rockncountry

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Never look at it like a bottleneck it's just a limiting factor and your limiting factor can change with different games. Bottleneck calculators are just bad in general.

i5 6600K 4 cores
i7 6700K 4 cores/8threads

Try running some of your games like I said with the settings off/low you might be surprised.

OK...I don't follow but I'm trying. So I run a game with my current setup and turn all the settings down. Then test FPS?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
OK...I don't follow but I'm trying. So I run a game with my current setup and turn all the settings down. Then test FPS?
Yes that should show you what FPS your current CPU can run in those games.

The CPU determines the max FPS until it gets limited by the video card, because of either in game settings or resolution. This is not exact but fairly close.

EDIT that should show you if you really need a new CPU to get your 60FPS in the games your playing.
if your already able to get your target FPS in your games then no need to update the CPU yet get a new card either now or later your choice then you should be able to turn everything to high.

I would also agree with the above on the power supply they make a lot of different ones some not to good.
Might look at a nice new Corsair RMX or EVGA G6.

Last edited:

rockncountry

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Yes that should show you what FPS your current CPU can run in those games.

The CPU determines the max FPS until it gets limited by the video card, because of either in game settings or resolution. This is not exact but fairly close.

EDIT that should show you if you really need a new CPU to get your 60FPS in the games your playing.
if your already able to get your target FPS in your games then no need to update the CPU yet get a new card either now or later your choice then you should be able to turn everything to high.

I would also agree with the above on the power supply they make a lot of different ones some not to good.
Might look at a nice new Corsair RMX or EVGA G6.

OK. Thanks! I have an EVGA SuperNova 80+ Gold 850 Watt PSU.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I tell you what, if you can wait, just wait and get something like RTX 4070/Ti (which, in theory, should be even better than 3080 Ti) or similar; if you want to play now, don't wait. 3080 Ti should last you for quite a while at 2K at 60 FPS. Of course, it depends on what games you play and at what settings, but either way, 3080 Ti is not a bad card, and it's worth buying. My recommendation is to wait, especially if you'll need to upgrade the CPU as well. But I'm just telling you my opinion, and it's up to you to decide whether you want

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

It just goes back and forth, never reaching a consensus.
A)If you need/want now, buy now. You might feel a little buyer's remorse when the new gpus come out, but that's how it is.
B)Wait for the new models...
-get unlucky and end up on the backorder list; you wouldn't be the only one holding out for the shiny stuff.
-get one... and that's it?