This Access Point Offers Up to 7,500 SQ FT of Wi-Fi Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

vk_87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
600mW of power is pretty high. I think its time we have some sort of rating system like SAR for cellphones about the power levels.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]vk_87[/nom]600mW of power is pretty high. I think its time we have some sort of rating system like SAR for cellphones about the power levels.[/citation]
what ever for?

why put a totally meaningless rating on any device when it only serves up to feed on people's irrational fears. pseudoscience is pseudoscience, EMF fields do not cause cancer... actual sciencehas proven that thereis No Detectable Risk of cancer from EMF fields.

consider the dead horse beaten to death, stop beating it please

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]" high power 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi amplifiers" "dual 5 GHz amplifiers are also present""However, the 5 GHz coverage isn't amplified"Anyone else finds this confusing?[/citation]
Apparently, everyone except Kevin Parrish find that dribble confusing... I wonder how much of his articles he actually writes and how much of it is simple Copy/Paste..

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
7500 sqft? That is something like a 50 foot radius...am I missing something? I mean I understand how they say its not a router and even crappy routers have a 50 foot radius range, but what is the significance? Its not going to help with traffic load, its just distributing it differently and you will be able to sit a little bit further away from the router, so good news if you have a house too big for a normal router to service.

[citation][nom]dalmvern[/nom]7500 sqft? That is something like a 50 foot radius...am I missing something? I mean I understand how they say its not a router and even crappy routers have a 50 foot radius range, but what is the significance? Its not going to help with traffic load, its just distributing it differently and you will be able to sit a little bit further away from the router, so good news if you have a house too big for a normal router to service.[/citation]

It should have excellent connectivity even where what would normally be dead spots. That's something to consider.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]dalmvern[/nom]7500 sqft? That is something like a 50 foot radius...am I missing something? I mean I understand how they say its not a router and even crappy routers have a 50 foot radius range.[/citation]
Indeed, even a Trendnet Wireless G Access Point selling for $31 @ newegg is claiming
"50 to 100 meters indoor, 100 to 300 meters outdoors depending on the environment."
This is a great article... not..

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Jim_L9[/nom]I suspect they mean it will provide coverage in a building of up to 7,500 Sq. Ft.[/citation]
Yeah, while it will not extended coverage beyond normal wireless routers, the signal strength is probably vastly superior in regards to being able to go through multiple walls of varying material.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Stupid thing to boast about. Most routers in the $70 range are offering between 500 and 600 mw transmit power

This would have been special about 7 years ago when premium routers were giving 45 to 50 mw but with todays n routers, if you look up the fccid, you will see that you get 600 mw for around $70

warbler boy

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Engenius has been offering this for years, and at a lower price. They have units that can go straight-line up to 10 Km.

[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]using the formula d= square root of (4A/π) if A is 7500 that gives a circle with a diameter of 31ft... whoopity do[/citation]

Assuming that the square foot measure is a circle around the access point, a 50 foot radius is the proper radius. 50 feet squared is 2500 feet, multiplied by about 3 to account for pi and you get 7500 feet. The radius is a little under 50 feet because pi is a little more than 3, but still. A more accurate radius would be approximately 49 feet, but given that this is a WiFi device's rated connectivity radius, you shouldn't try to be too accurate for it. Area for a circle is (Pi)(radius)^2.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
High power is great and all but remember that wireless is a two way signal. With a FM radio a station pumps out thousands of watts of signal power they can reach all corners of the desired market. But the people listening to it don't have to worry about transmitting back to the source. With wireless someone could amplify the signal a great amount but unless the other device can "reach" back the whole design is worthless.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Assuming that the square foot measure is a circle around the access point, a 50 foot radius is the proper radius. 50 feet squared is 2500 feet, multiplied by about 3 to account for pi and you get 7500 feet. The radius is a little under 50 feet because pi is a little more than 3, but still. A more accurate radius would be approximately 49 feet, but given that this is a WiFi device's rated connectivity radius, you shouldn't try to be too accurate for it. Area for a circle is (Pi)(radius)^2.[/citation]

A=πr2= πd2/4

d2=4A/π

d= square root of (4A/π)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
just feel that this needs to be shows,

average cheap $50-60 router from 2011 (google router fccid and pick a few and look them up on the FCC website)

OadEl.jpg

here is a dbm to watt chart

http://www.cpcstech.com/dbm-to-watt-conversion-information.htm

you will see that there is no need to spend $170 for 600mw of transmit power

(Also some of the higher end $150-200 routers from companies such as netgear will over over 600mw, generally around 800mw+ of power)

Now lets look at a router from 10 years ago (one of my favorite routers, the WRT54G)

L4hVg.jpg

yep if you look at that chart, right around 45mw of transmit power.

They are basically comparing their 2012 router, to routers from nearly 10 years ago just so that they can justify their insane prices.

PS from 2002 to 2012 and probably beyond, most routers that do not use high gain antennas, will use a 2.5 to 3dbi antenna, and the ones with internal antennas will attempt to account for you not being able to position the antennas by using a combination of 2.5 and 1.8db antennas (the higher the gain, the more directional the signal becomes and thus the less hight it can handle.

if you live in a 3+ floor house, a 3dbi antenna will give you better coverage than a 7 dbi antenna (average high gain antenna) but if you are okay with a little bit of modding, you can easily add rp-sma connectors to almost any router with internal antennas, and then use 20db gain antennas if you want. (7-9db antennas are good for single level homes) and for multi level homes it is best not to go over 5db unless you are okay with positioning the antennas in a way where it aims to a specific area in the upper level of the home.

jeffjwatts

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]A=πr2= πd2/4d2=4A/πd= square root of (4A/π)[/citation]

You've got your math wrong.

a=pi*r^2
r^2=a/pi
r=Sqroot(a/pi)

r=sqroot(7,500/3.14) = 48.8

remixedcat

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
I have this access point and it does have hardcore coverage. I can easily get 5 bars all over my mixed construction house (spanning several decades and some walls have plaster and I also have dropped celings with flourescent lights like you see in offices) I can walk outside and about 150 feet away can stream youtube vids with not much problems.

Average RSSI Values: (using the Amped Wireless Analytics tool for Android)
Amped Wireless AP20000G: 30-50ft avg. @ -22 to -32dBm/50-75ft avg. @ -47dBm/ 170ft @ -72dBm

while my netgear wgr614 was -75dBm at around 30ft away and -82dBm to -92dBm on the back porch and was only 1 or 2 bars tops. I get 4-5 bars on the back porch with the amped wireless access point. I have a huge thick metal door and my access point is upstairs on the opposite end of the house and I have a thick staircase.

on the laptop I get 5 bars all over the house as well as the back porch. it's got a built in atheros adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.