News This AIO cooler is designed to cool two CPUs at once — SilverStone’s new XE360-Dual

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
I just cant see how cooling devices hooked up in series can be a great idea.
It's fine. Running blocks in series was common before the advent of AIO.
The second block will run a little warmer, but if the total wattage doesn't exceed the radiator's capacity, it will work.
With today's micro-fin blocks, I think cooling performance would be worse if you ran it in parallel, unless you used 2 pumps. Something about pressure and flow rate loss from splitting tubing into two.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
I just cant see how cooling devices hooked up in series can be a great idea.
It's the preferred way to do it. It's hard to ensure equal flow to parallel components. It requires extra valves and flow meters for every junction to get it right, and it doesn't stay balanced forever - requiring someone to monitor and tweak over time.

In series, as long as water velocity is high enough, there's only a few degrees difference between the inlet and outlet temps. I have a series loop with 4 computers each with cpu and gpu blocks - 8 water blocks in series. There are times when all 4 are running full tilt for many hours, and the max temp gain I've ever seen is 18 degrees from beginning to end. The system uses one shared radiator in a remote room.