Question This device cannot start (code 10)

Jul 25, 2022
I have two m.2 drives a 500gb and a 1tb the 500gb has my operating system and apps such as discord/steam. The other I use for my games/clips I’ve had the pc for about a year and put the 1tb sabrent rocket 4.0 in when I got the pc. I’ve had no issues at all with it and haven’t downloaded anything within 3 days prior to having any issues. I log on after work like any other time and try to start a game and get the message that says I don’t have it installed and it’s looking for it on my pc. I check file explorer and only see my 500gb m.2 listed I went to device manager it shows my 1tb with a yellow ‘!’ Symbol next to it in the notes it says (This device cannot start. (Code 10) An I/O adapter hardware error has occurred.) the drive isn’t detected in the BIOS

I have tried:
Updating BIOS
Updating drivers (says newest drivers are installed)
Clean install of windows
most things that Google told me to do surrounding this code 10 issue - and,
———-
Swapping slots on motherboard between the two m.2’s this WORKED for about 4 days and in the middle of my gaming session my pc completely pooped itself, my game froze I closed the game on task manager which took 2 minutes for it to process. When I finally got back to my Home Screen I couldn’t start the game back up because my hard drive wasn’t detected.

any advice helps, my specs:
i9 10900k
GeForce RTX 3080
MSI MPG z490 gaming edge WiFi

Jul 25, 2022
I emailed sabrent about it told them what I had tried and based off me swapping slots on the mobo and the 500gb m.2 stayed consistent on both slots but their 4.0 drive quit again after a few days I ran a test on crystal, and on their sabrent tool. Crystal showed the drive 99% dead while sabrent tool showed 100% health. They said they are going to start the exchange process. When the new drive comes in I will update here on whether the problem persists with a new m.2. Kind of sucks losing all my data on that drive, however, it was just all my games and clips over the last several weeks nothing too important lost.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS