This Internal SSD Connects Via 10-Pin USB Port

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brando56894

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
This sounded like a cool idea at first but the more I read its almost worthless. As others mentioned its only USB 2.0 so theres no speed improvement over a typical flash drive and it takes up two usb ports as opposed to one sticking out of the computer which only takes up one.

I'd rather get even a cheap SSD that uses a crappy controller than this.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]dj1001[/nom]yep[/citation]
Yes, and that is pretty much exactly what you want for an embedded system. Distributors such as Logic Supply have been selling things like this for quite a number of years. They even have version that plug into old IDE connectors. This is not a new concept.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh Kevin, where to begin!

First of all, don't take a manufacturer's word for anything. Really, the internal headers of motherboards are nine-pin, not 10. Really, the tenth pin is blanked out as a key, so that one-piece connectors can't be installed the wrong way. It's been 9-pin on most boards since before AC97 standardized it. BTW, the 97 means 1997.

Now, it blocks off TWO USB ports but uses only one? Well, I understand that news and reviews are done differently, but you could have at least tossed a hint in there. I mean, 30MB/s is pretty standard for a thumb drive, but this thing should be doing 60MB/s if it covers two ports, eh?

arth_ur

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I agree that only the mechanical format may be considered as news.
I can only imagine the reason for it in low performance (eg. POS) systems, where it is important to be inaccessible for security reasons, of course if the price is right.
You could install it in some situations only on 4/5 pins of the header leaving the other USB port free, this could be mechanically awkward dough.
An eventual RAID config is impractical, cause the need of special BIOS/OS support.

dusanb

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
actually the internal headers of motherboards are eight-pin, ninth is ground and cant be used to data transfer

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]dusanb[/nom]actually the internal headers of motherboards are eight-pin, ninth is ground and cant be used to data transfer[/citation]

Actually, they are nine-pin because there are nine pins. They're not 10-pin because one is missing. They're not 8-pin because there is one extra. And two of the eight pins you're talking about are also grounds.

subarooster

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Can someone point me to a step by step of making an ssd hd my boot drive only and have all other data or at least user files on my 2nd drive that is a normal hard drive without messing up windows 7 or having to do crazy registry edits. On microsofts site they mention that they know that many people would benifit by doing this (seperate operating system on one drive, or on an ssd, and the other data on to a second drive) as it would would allow for better performance also it would make data backup easier, and if someone needed to format the drive that the Operating system OS is installed on that they wouldnt have to transfer their personal information, documents, pics, video ect. I would also like to be able to install all or some of the programs to the other drive so that I dont have to buy a huge SSD. I bought an Intel 40GB value SSD, its way fast but I cant find a way to doing this dual drive set up without messing up windows, per other peoples experiances, and reviews on micorsofts technet site.

So weird that in one place microsoft says it great to do the dual drive set up and in another they state that it will make it so that windows updates and many other internal functions dont function right, but also it said that many times even with the folders and users moved to the second hard drive that the OS or other programs may still try to write to the orignial location which would land the data on the SSD taking up the very small room i have on the 40gb, or force me to get a bigger one. Also for safe keeping i dont want to keep personal files pics ect on the ssd drive just incase it has some weird messup.

Status
Not open for further replies.