Question this is a dumb question but does a monitor work without a Pc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Work as in turn on yes they would but they need proper analog/digital (depending on monitor type/age) signal from some device to 'display'.

Monitors have different input ports VGA (D-Sub), DVI, HDMI and Display ports. Some olders ones even had their own tuners and could even take AV or Components inputs and with an aerial even could show TV. They would works with some devices that have proper corresponding outputs provided the resolution and refresh rate of the outputing device is the same as the monitor can handle.

For example a full HD 60Hz monitor with an HDMI input should be able to display the output from a PlayStation 3/4.

Jun 9, 2019
Work as in turn on yes they would but they need proper analog/digital (depending on monitor type/age) signal from some device to 'display'.

Monitors have different input ports VGA (D-Sub), DVI, HDMI and Display ports. Some olders ones even had their own tuners and could even take AV or Components inputs and with an aerial even could show TV. They would works with some devices that have proper corresponding outputs provided the resolution and refresh rate of the outputing device is the same as the monitor can handle.

For example a full HD 60Hz monitor with an HDMI input should be able to display the output from a PlayStation 3/4.
Would it work as in using steam

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I wanted to say pretty much what USAFRet said, so, there it is.

Again, as I said before, if a monitor gets proper input from a proper output (signal it can work with) it should be able to display it regardless of the media being Steam or whatever. If you want steam you need a PC be it a desktop or a laptop.

You can't make Steam (a gaming platform, essentially software) plus a monitor on it's own work.

I use a monitor connected to a satellite TV box and another one with security cameras. First case with HDMI and in second composite case video input. In any case, it needs some kind of video input to display anything but OSD.
Maybe you were thinking about All in One computers where a computer is built into the screen. In that case it looks just like a monitor but isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.