Question This is a HUGE thank you to everyone for the immense support you provided

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Remember me? Those who had to keep up with my barrage of questions certainly do i guess :p, check my postings for example

so yeah, now I'm done and the pc came. I asked my questions, y'all helped me, wait till the best time and whatnot (especially not to cheap out on the PSU) and it's finally here!

IMG20220618184223.jpg

Inno3D RTX 3080Ti X3 OC
Intel core i7 12700F
Asus prime B660
4 x 16 GB Gskill Tridentz RGB 3600MHz
Deepcool cl500
Deepcool castle 360 RGB V2
NZXT C850
Samsung PM981a for the SSD

With this, my questions have come to an end and now I'll play my role here as a solver as well.

Though, i have one last question

How long can I expect this build to last? Considering the lowest i can go to is 1080p medium?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm happy this was a good experience for you! Looks like a terrific rig.

It's hard to put an exact time limit on it, because future developments are always foggy. But let's put it this way, a GTX 680 runs neck and neck with a 1050 Ti which is still capable of running 1080p medium in the vast majority of games. The GTX 680 was released a decade ago.

I wouldn't worry about it. Since you're starting off with an excellent PC, you have the option of incrementally replacing things. Maybe you replace the GPU in 2026 and do a platform swap in 2027. Once you have a solid, upgradeable PC, you don't really ever have to make a completely new build as long as the old one is properly maintained. I know someone who is still using the rig he built in the late 90s; it's like on the fourth generation of completely different parts, including the case, but it was all incremental upgrades.

Reactions: FoxInFlames
Nice looking setup.
There is always something new and better coming along.

From a hardware point of view, expect to have to replace the aio in about 5 years.
The pump is a mechanical device.
Air will inevitably enter the system, making cooling less effective.

Fans are also mechanical, but I would put their lifespan more like 10 years.

From a suitability point of view, that is up to you.
What games you play, what resolution, and what performance you expect .

Fast action gaming at 4k resolution may need more than the 3080ti.
Future graphics cards stronger may well need a stronger psu.

You have an excellent gpu and cpu so I would not expect either to need upgrading.
If you wanted a cpu upgrade, most who do so will also upgrade the motherboard in the process.

Enjoy what you have for as long as it serves your needs.

Reactions: FoxInFlames
How long can I expect this build to last? Considering the lowest i can go to is 1080p medium?

From a gaming perspective, it totally depends on how willing you are to turn down GPU settings and run at lower FPS. It's a top-o-the-line rig now so you've got at LEAST 2-3 years of (mostly) max settings at 4k and buttery smooth FPS. As you get into the 3-5 year range some settings may need to be adjusted but shouldn't be bad at all. It's difficult to gauge what just the next gen will bring to the table, much less 5+ years down the road, but I'd say this will still be an adequate gaming rig in 6 years.

One little nitpick. Your rear exhaust fan and top fans are fighting for the same air. I would just remove the rear fan and let the tops get as much volume as they want. This is not a huge deal, but it's definitely happening from what I see in the pic.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
I would just remove the rear fan and let the tops get as much volume as they want. This is not a huge deal, but it's definitely happening from what I see in the pic.
Well, if isn't much of an issue I'd like it to stay this way because i got it made and didn't build it myself, and so, i don't want to screw anything up in there with my inexperience (i did add a GPU support bracket down there, but yeah, i don't know where the fan is connected and i don't want to mess either)

dfflick

Commendable
May 20, 2020
I'm happy this was a good experience for you! Looks like a terrific rig.

It's hard to put an exact time limit on it, because future developments are always foggy. But let's put it this way, a GTX 680 runs neck and neck with a 1050 Ti which is still capable of running 1080p medium in the vast majority of games. The GTX 680 was released a decade ago.

I wouldn't worry about it. Since you're starting off with an excellent PC, you have the option of incrementally replacing things. Maybe you replace the GPU in 2026 and do a platform swap in 2027. Once you have a solid, upgradeable PC, you don't really ever have to make a completely new build as long as the old one is properly maintained. I know someone who is still using the rig he built in the late 90s; it's like on the fourth generation of completely different parts, including the case, but it was all incremental upgrades.

Ah, yes, the Computer of Theseus

Well, if isn't much of an issue I'd like it to stay this way because i got it made and didn't build it myself, and so, i don't want to screw anything up in there with my inexperience (i did add a GPU support bracket down there, but yeah, i don't know where the fan is connected and i don't want to mess either)
It's definitely making a difference. How much would require testing to know.
That rear fan should just be 4 screws and a PWM cable on the motherboard. You could always take it out and keep it around. If you have any issues with the computer it would take less than 5 mins to screw it back in and reconnect the cable.