this is stupid and i shouldnt do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
So, i have an asus eeepc 1101ha laptop that is now 11 years old. It runs lubuntu 18.04 and it has 2 gb of ddr2 ram and a 120 gb ssd. It can play youtube at 144p 30 fps at fullscreen, it runs basic code on pycharm, i can play some browser games and i can even open blender 2.79 and move the default cube around. All these on a low end notebook from 11 years ago. So, I want to add more horsepower. I have overclocked using she, but this isnt enough. I want to replace the current intel atom z560 with a z520
First of all is this even possible? I haven't seen any tutorials on how to do it. Will it even have any noticable diference (btw even if it could open steam there would be a noticeable difference)? What will happen with the gpu (gma 500)? Is it integrated on both cpus?
Secondly where can i buy it? Those ar 12 and 10 years ald cpus, they should worth pennies, but are they even obtainable anymore? Where they even sold sepperately to begin with?
Third(ly?): How will i remove the old cpu? WIth a simple wiggle and pull lke on desktops? And afterwards how will i cool it? This one has a pvc like thingy on top of the cpu, what even is it?
Lastly: what are the risks? This isnt my main driver, but i deffinetely dont want to kill it just for an upgrade that may make no difference whatsoever. It is mostly so i can make this the best asus eepc of its league. I have already plans for a new 4400 mah battery to replace the old dead one and for a new keyboard to replace this dirty white one, but a cpu upgrade will surely put this on top (is there even competition out there? While searching for anyone who has upgrade their cpu i stumbled on one of my old threads XD). So yeah, any recomendations are welcome.

For the cost of a new battery and keyboard you can buy a used laptop several times faster than this thing, never mind the CPU upgrade. Unless you have some personal attachment to this laptop, it's not worth spending any money on fixing it up.

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
For the cost of a new battery and keyboard you can buy a used laptop several times faster than this thing, never mind the CPU upgrade. Unless you have some personal attachment to this laptop, it's not worth spending any money on fixing it up.
Tbh the cost of all the upgrades would be somewhere around 100€ and the only laptop I could find at that price was a used asus eee pc(not upgraded like mine), at least in retailers at my country.

Tbh the cost of all the upgrades would be somewhere around 100€ and the only laptop I could find at that price was a used asus eee pc(not upgraded like mine), at least in retailers at my country.

Don't bother with retailers, look for used private sales. A Lenovo T420 or similar should be about 100,120. Something with an early i3 or i5 CPU will be affordable if you need another system.

Reactions: PaulosK
Status
Not open for further replies.