This is the $100 Civilization V Special Edition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]Not the best way to sell a game, first you overcharge then you put a video that already has DRM problems, I hate to see what they have done to the game.[/citation]

Absolutely, considering the game hasn't changed since 1990 other then graphics and other minor additions. Heck, if you have been around enough to call it "the best game of all time" then you would have been there when this was being said about Civ 3.

[citation][nom]d0gr0ck[/nom]"This video contains content from playcast, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." In Ohio for the record.[/citation]

Same thing in Montana. :) It's all good though. only reason I tried to play the video is because of your comment. I had no desire otherwise. LOL Just a couple of nerdy looking kids talking about an overpriced Special Edition.

pwndcake

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I love the Civilization series. It's nice packaging, and I can understand why they want $100 for it, but I won't be giving it to them. The miniatures look cool, and they are tempting, but $100 is too much.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
My argument against steam.
1) Another "always on" open hole in my network
2) I don't like being served up 3rd party advertising everytime I open up something I paid for. It is bad enough the something I paid for is doing the same thing.
3) Yet another layer of crap on my PC. I have a piece of 3rd party junk from every various company for every modern game i have, be it impulse, EA DL manager or Steam etc... I am not going to favor one over the other. I am going to cut them all out because this is all crap. If I bought the game from Steam? Sure. If I didn't buy the game from Steam, I don't want to have to use Steam.

The PC gaming experience is being eroded by this crap.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Personally, this feels like the kid's cereal "toy at the bottom of the box" trick to get people to buy it - and any time a toy is offered I wonder about the quality of the product itself.

For some this may seem like a worthy investment, for me is is an package of a game, book, and 5 miniatures with a minor discount at best. For those who enjoy such things, have fun with them! Glad you have the option.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Toys and fancy art: $2.

Cost to consumer: $40.

Idiot blows $38 on cheap Chinese trinkets instead of investing and reaping long term rewards while a corporation laughs at him? Priceless.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Wow...$100 to get a great game with kiddy toys? no thank you! what the hell am I going to do with the figurines!? pretend as if I'm IN THE GAME?

I will buy my copy on steam :).

G

I remember when a collector's edition cost $60-$70 and came with more stuff. As long as the soundtrack is available separately, I'll just be getting the standard version. Otherwise I'll wait a couple years and get the special edition off eBay for $30-$40 (like I did with Civ 4) and give the standard edition to a friend or family member.

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
This SteamPowered/Steamworks argument really is killing me. For those who are against it why? It is no different than installing software and really having install EA updater or Windows Games for Live or Impulse, but the COLD HARD FACT IS, that you do NOT have to have it running or be LOGGED IN at all to play your game.

When a game "requires Steam" they mean for Activation purposes, just like most of the new games, out there require you connect at least once and that will be on the box, but thats it.

Steam actually has many advantages that you are not aware of, and to watch you make and jump all over it with out trying it, or you "say" you try it, but you never dig in and find that there is a simple "run game while off-line mode" so that no Internet connection is required is nuts.

Steam offers many more positives than negatives. Once Civ 5 is installed and you activate it, you now will NEVER EVER need that Civ 5 DVD to install your game again. You can throw it out or nuke it or do what ever.... you don't have to have the CD in the drive, you don't have to have a permanent connection to the net like Ubi soft, its not like that.

If you were to travel for a few weeks to see your cousin cross country, you could log into Steam, and guess what.... download the game to his computer..... yup... no problems or questions asked. You could play it and with the new cloud saving, if you saved your game on the cloud, you could load your saved games from anywhere.

Then when you leave, you just remove the game from his HDD and go back home an all is well. It just ruffles my feathers when people do not read the whole deal on Steam and how it works. It allows games to not have any DRM, it allows you to install them AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WANT, you can save games to a cloud, you don't have to worry about losing a CD-KEY like I did with the Original Mass Effect like I did and have to send them in your CD and wait 4-6 weeks for them to process it and send a different and scratched CD back and have to go through hell, this time having them rush it in 2 weeks.

To me, Steam listens to its users and tries to incorporate the best of what it can while working with the game publishers to come to a happy consensus.... I love having all my games in one spot... if I want to install one I bought 3 years ago... guess what.... its STILL THERE... My Half-Life 2 is still there and that was released in what 2005????

The only reason to question steam is for that initial activation and believe me we do understand YOUR concern, but it is a one time deal that doesn't take long and once its done its done.

You have to look at it this way, would you rather you play many games, and have to shuffle a boat load of CD's in and out of your drive all the time (lose them occasionally unless your really anal and still they get scratched.... here is where they need to start added that blu-ray hard guard to DVD's... to having to activate one time for a minute connected to the net where NO personal information is sent???

Then you go click on the game, click run off-line and you are done.... no more... no more putting the CD/DVD in the drive, no move losing your DVD or having your kid or dog use it as a Frisbee... An electonic copy is there just for you...

Steam in NOT the DRM you read about like UBI-SOFT or EA, or any disc based ones.... it is one of the best comprises out there that make over 3 million people happy every day at least and you should give Steam a chance.....

BTW you can turn off all those pop-up adds you don't like, thats on the setting page and believe it or not you can turn off just about every annoying feature that popup period....

I leave mine on most of the time because who knows when a game I want hits that 75% off deal that you can't pass up....

But honestly, give Steam a chance, investigate it, turn off the adds, use the run off-line option. Its not perfect, but in my opinion, it is the best Online Store/DRM thats out there. It has a significant pile of pluses that outweigh the small tiny few negatives that come with the service....

They have treated me and their support has been excellent if I ever had a problem and thats a huge deal in my book.

Those that say that its horrible and you have to be connected and all this other BS do NOT know what they are talking about because they probably never used it, or never found the easy to find run off-line option for the game.

I personally like running the game online as they have a chat system like the PS3 and XBOX360 that can be used to find your friends and play multi-player games so much better and you can even add this interface to non-Steam games as well....

It just upsets me to see people who never or barely use a service rip it to shreds because they don't like an idea, like Steam.... I may not like OS/X with my limited time using it, but that doesn't give me enough time to complain about anything because I'm not familiar with the main options enough to criticize something that may have a very nice feature. I like to give each system it fair share.... Steam is tops in my book by a LONG LONG shot... Impulse is second, they have their pluses and minuses.... I have e-mailed and phone them about their short comings that really have held me back at times and shouldn't compared to Steam and I think the made changes..... and you would be hard pressed to find me using Direct2Drive..... unless it was 3am I was drunk and my buddy talked me into playing a game that you can only find on there and we really wanted to play..... that would be the only situation for that one....

Steam is a good service bordering on great, but you have to really read close, look at the options and understand the game.... those popups can be turned off, it can be just as easily disabled to start with Windows and so on and I think you get the point..... its worth a chance, give it one.... but do us all a favor.....

Don't spend $100 on a game, that could get you 3-4 if done right and you find the write games!!!

Cheers!

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Sorry.... small grammar edit to the post above.
Don't spend $100 on a game, that could get you 3-4 if done right and you find the games you like!!!

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
AWesome game, amazing company and quality. Sid meier is a genius. At first I wanted to get this but its too costly. maybe if it was $20 cheaper or more than I would.

The only thing i have about Civ 5 is the fact that its using steam, i liked civ 4 cuz it didnt require any software bullshti to be ran in order to play the game

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
The only thing i have about Civ 5 is the fact that its using steam, i liked civ 4 cuz it didnt require any software bullshti to be ran in order to play the game

Didn't you even read ANY comments. Go back and read my huge comment on Steam and how Civ 5 will work with Steam. Its amazing that those who do NOT know how things work comment like they have used it every day since inception, and the kicker has it that I HAVE. I bought HL2 Via Steam and signed up for Steam and its beta before it launched officially.

You only need to connect to "Activate" your product, just like Windows or Office does, and thats it... just like most games... you don't need to stay signed in (though it does offer voice chat and other advantages like trophies and scores and other achievements ALL FOR FREE), but there is an option to RUN THE GAME OFF-LINE. You just have to choose that when you select the properties of the game, and have steam place an Icon on the desktop and thats it....

It really is AMAZING how ignorant people are.

Their voice chat is getting better, I like their achievement and trophy system that I believe was out before the PS3 and 36- (but I could be wrong here and I admit that), and the ability to access the game from anywhere and to access chat and the Steam environment by usually pushing Shift-Tab is great. You can even add games that you bought that don't use Steam and add it to the interface, which I do. I leave Steam running. I like the idea of my friends who log into Steam to see that Ryan is playing xxxx game or playing HL2 or paying STO or whatever so that encourages them to play with me... just like XBOX 360.

I see more people bitch about Steam, but why don't people complain about Netflix and the 360??? Not only do you have to pay the Gold fee, you have to pay the Netflix fee.... yet on the Wii and PS3 you don't have to pay the gold fee... Hell on my Windows MPC I don't have to pay extra... that seems like a bigger deal that a simple activation of Civ 5.

Hell after you Activate Civ 5, you can be done with Steam.... You people really need too stop making ASSumptions out of yourselves and read and learn. They do things right.... every survey they offer ois Opt-IN so you have to find it and OK it first, they don't assume you want it like most sights that are "Opt-Out" sights.... those are the ones that put the check marks automatically in installations or hide them so you have to hit expert install to find them.... Steam is NOT like that....

And it just kills me to see people knocking stuff they have NOT a CLUE about...

I would be out here for anything and any tech that people get wrong.... Do I like Steam?? Yes... why, because they treat me like I'm their priority and that I matter and that I'm not number 500 and if I leave they have 5.4 million left, they treat me like a person and address my concerns like a person.

Any company that does that earns a HUGE star in my book.... and I think companies are waking up to that fact.....

UltimateZero

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I cannot wait for this game...I just wish I had a computer to run it. Presumably, if I can run civ 4 just fine, I should be able to run civ 5, or at least I hope so!

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]rhelme[/nom]Didn't you even read ANY comments. Go back and read my huge comment on Steam and how Civ 5 will work with Steam. Its amazing that those who do NOT know how things work comment like they have used it every day since inception, and the kicker has it that I HAVE. I bought HL2 Via Steam and signed up for Steam and its beta before it launched officially.You only need to connect to "Activate" your product, just like Windows or Office does, and thats it... just like most games... you don't need to stay signed in (though it does offer voice chat and other advantages like trophies and scores and other achievements ALL FOR FREE), but there is an option to RUN THE GAME OFF-LINE. You just have to choose that when you select the properties of the game, and have steam place an Icon on the desktop and thats it....It really is AMAZING how ignorant people are. Their voice chat is getting better, I like their achievement and trophy system that I believe was out before the PS3 and 36- (but I could be wrong here and I admit that), and the ability to access the game from anywhere and to access chat and the Steam environment by usually pushing Shift-Tab is great. You can even add games that you bought that don't use Steam and add it to the interface, which I do. I leave Steam running. I like the idea of my friends who log into Steam to see that Ryan is playing xxxx game or playing HL2 or paying STO or whatever so that encourages them to play with me... just like XBOX 360.I see more people bitch about Steam, but why don't people complain about Netflix and the 360??? Not only do you have to pay the Gold fee, you have to pay the Netflix fee.... yet on the Wii and PS3 you don't have to pay the gold fee... Hell on my Windows MPC I don't have to pay extra... that seems like a bigger deal that a simple activation of Civ 5.Hell after you Activate Civ 5, you can be done with Steam.... You people really need too stop making ASSumptions out of yourselves and read and learn. They do things right.... every survey they offer ois Opt-IN so you have to find it and OK it first, they don't assume you want it like most sights that are "Opt-Out" sights.... those are the ones that put the check marks automatically in installations or hide them so you have to hit expert install to find them.... Steam is NOT like that....And it just kills me to see people knocking stuff they have NOT a CLUE about...I would be out here for anything and any tech that people get wrong.... Do I like Steam?? Yes... why, because they treat me like I'm their priority and that I matter and that I'm not number 500 and if I leave they have 5.4 million left, they treat me like a person and address my concerns like a person.Any company that does that earns a HUGE star in my book.... and I think companies are waking up to that fact.....[/citation]
You got some brown stuff on your nose brah

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
The only argument I had against Steam was that I couldn't sell the game after. However, if that money matters to you (and it does to me) you can simply wait till things are on sale. I've only paid full price for ONE game on Steam so far and that's cuz my bro wanted to play coop on release date. Otherwise, I've picked up plenty of blockbusters at like 50% off or more, which more than makes up for not being able to sell the thing.

kiren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
This SteamPowered/Steamworks argument really is killing me. For those who are against it why? It is no different than installing software and really having install EA updater or Windows Games for Live or Impulse, but the COLD HARD FACT IS, that you do NOT have to have it running or be LOGGED IN at all to play your game.
You assume that we allow any of those things to run or be installed as well, I don't allow anything to autoupdate itself or run in the background. Also you'll find that stardock products do not actually require you to ever have impulse if you buy the retail box. Thats only if you wish to create an account and tie your serial to it, allowing you to download it anytime you want. It's similar in concept, only its optional.

When a game "requires Steam" they mean for Activation purposes, just like most of the new games, out there require you connect at least once and that will be on the box, but thats it.
Somewhat true, but it also requires you to create an account with them, which I have no motivation to do otherwise. Also as active military I spend much of my time with no internet connection at all, period. So any game with online activation automatically loses mad points in my book.

Steam actually has many advantages that you are not aware of, and to watch you make and jump all over it with out trying it, or you "say" you try it, but you never dig in and find that there is a simple "run game while off-line mode" so that no Internet connection is required is nuts.
I've tried it, I don't like it. And while there is an offline mode, it doesn't address the previous problem. I need to be able to order discs, and then install and use my product from the disks. If it were optional like impulse then it would garner a lot less complaining I think.

Steam offers many more positives than negatives. Once Civ 5 is installed and you activate it, you now will NEVER EVER need that Civ 5 DVD to install your game again. You can throw it out or nuke it or do what ever.... you don't have to have the CD in the drive, you don't have to have a permanent connection to the net like Ubi soft, its not like that.
Perhaps you hadn't noticed but Civ often didn't require the disk anyway. Civ II only disabled the music if you didn't have it. Civ IV with the most recent patches doesn't even ask for the disk at all, and no I haven't done anything other than a clean install and the official patches.

If you were to travel for a few weeks to see your cousin cross country, you could log into Steam, and guess what.... download the game to his computer..... yup... no problems or questions asked. You could play it and with the new cloud saving, if you saved your game on the cloud, you could load your saved games from anywhere.

Then when you leave, you just remove the game from his HDD and go back home an all is well. It just ruffles my feathers when people do not read the whole deal on Steam and how it works. It allows games to not have any DRM, it allows you to install them AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WANT, you can save games to a cloud, you don't have to worry about losing a CD-KEY like I did with the Original Mass Effect like I did and have to send them in your CD and wait 4-6 weeks for them to process it and send a different and scratched CD back and have to go through hell, this time having them rush it in 2 weeks.

To me, Steam listens to its users and tries to incorporate the best of what it can while working with the game publishers to come to a happy consensus.... I love having all my games in one spot... if I want to install one I bought 3 years ago... guess what.... its STILL THERE... My Half-Life 2 is still there and that was released in what 2005????
I can see where some might like that, and if its optional I wouldn't mind. Personally I prefer just to keep the disks.

The only reason to question steam is for that initial activation and believe me we do understand YOUR concern, but it is a one time deal that doesn't take long and once its done its done.
Quite, but as you say once its done its done, I had a family member install my copy of Empire Total War while I was gone, (came in during a deployment) and they didn't realize it permanently associated itself with their account, and now its done, I'll never be able to install it using my own purchased disks.

You have to look at it this way, would you rather you play many games, and have to shuffle a boat load of CD's in and out of your drive all the time (lose them occasionally unless your really anal and still they get scratched.... here is where they need to start added that blu-ray hard guard to DVD's... to having to activate one time for a minute connected to the net where NO personal information is sent???

Then you go click on the game, click run off-line and you are done.... no more... no more putting the CD/DVD in the drive, no move losing your DVD or having your kid or dog use it as a Frisbee... An electonic copy is there just for you...
I'd rather have the choice. I can see where some people might like it, but for me it simply isn't practical, so there are numerous games that I will never purchase or play simply because they tied themselves to this, denying my right to install and use a product from purchased media.

Consider this: Civilization is probably my favorite game franchise of all time, I have purchased every single base civ game, and most of the expansions, often both pc and mac versions over the years, but with this single simple change I will have to consider long and hard before I purchase it. Make it steam-free and I'll buy it in a heartbeat, even at the special edition price. Heck I'll even pre-order if I know its installable by itself. (only reason I had empire was because I didn't realize it would require steam when I pre-ordered it)

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]Wow I did not know so many Civilization players hated Steam come on it's a great platform your just complaining you need to download a game client to play a game.[/citation]

I was on that 'hate steam' train with a lot of them for a while. Until I started to USE Steam for finding other indie games for cheap weekend fun and for a few games my wife will actually play.

I still think it's a drag to sell a boxed game that requires Steam as that's just more DRM BS than the consumer needs to deal with.

G

Anyone who is complaining about the price needs to chill out. I'm sure the miniatures alone are worth $10 each not to mention the book, audio cd's and DVD. This is well worth an extra $50.00 and if you don't want to pay It then get the standard edition and quit whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.