This is What Firefox 4.0 Could Look Like

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Personally, I wish Microsoft would just integrate the menu bar and window controls/commands into the window title bar when you point your mouse over it. You could do away with the menu bar completely, and also have the tools and bookmarks bar in that location, too. Personally, I think it's a big waste of space. Leave the navigation toolbar and the tabs in the window. Put all the other stuff into the window title bar.

kalem13

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I sure hope they will implement Aero Peek in this release (showing all tab as "Window" in the Win7 task bar, like IE8 and Safari 4 do). I like the added glass, that make it look more Vista/Win7.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]kalem13[/nom]I sure hope they will implement Aero Peek in this release (showing all tab as "Window" in the Win7 task bar, like IE8 and Safari 4 do). I like the added glass, that make it look more Vista/Win7.[/citation]

i agree. I really want the next FF to have some sort of aero inergration

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
I think the looks aside are irrelevant. Firefox has to step back ot it's roots. Closer to the concept of FireFox 2 in regards to minimalism and simplicity. Firefox 3 was a step in the wrong direction for them. Too many layers of crap, adn horrible management in the back end. Its not uncommon for any computer i use firefox on to quickly become overloaded when i run firefox. regularly using flashed based websites firefox grows intensely large for memory concerns. A web browser with no addons shouldn't be taking 50+ mb of ram usage!.

And the address bar stinks. I have never gotten over the fact that they're attempting to re-invent something that was working fine! this "full text searching" drives me nuts on a regular basis. if i'm looking for a site i've been to, such as "tomshardware" and i start typing in "T" i dont want to be presented with 100,000 different linkes because they all have T somewhere in the random characters that make up dynamic links.

G

mpasternak, I don't know if you're visiting many "tom" sites, but I when I type in "tom", tomshardware.com is always the first link to show up. I personally like the feature a lot and it's still minimalistic (no new UI elements).

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The lack of title bar is what catches me attention.
I have my address bar and tool bar in one... how about address, tools, and totle bar all in one? It would easily fit.

Miyasashi

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Chrome is fast because of it's minimalistic UI, hopefully Firefox 4.0 will be as minimalistic but keeps having it's functionality which is definitely broader than Chrome's is.

In my opinion;

For just surfing:
Chrome / Internet Explorer / Safari

For Extensions and functionality
Firefox / Opera

All browsers are capable of doing what they're supposed to do, but the latter two have more possibilities.

Firefox has it's extension-base which is larger than any other browser, seemingly it's not that difficult to code your own extension or theme.

Opera has mouse gestures and a mailbox and possibly more but haven't thorougly used it.

I heard lot's of people complain about browsers but I never really understand why, except for being a fanboi.

I read about Chrome being uber-fast, I haven't noticed any actual speedgains while surfing unless it's maybe a few miliseconds compared to Firefox/Opera or Internet Explorer. But some reviews are to biased like with ATI vs Nvidia, where Nvidia uses games that are Nvidia optimized and have Physx(made by Nvidia) so no wonder those games run better on Nvidia cards.

G

Windows users.. why bother using anything but IE? I mean, SERIOUSLY, it's built-in, it works, *WHY* bother installing another browser? They managed to make Firefox or Chrome or whatever show a web page 2 seconds quicker? So f'ing what! Simplify your life. IE is there. It's not perfect but it works. Use it.

G

Please, no resource eating AERO for me!!!!
I hope I can disable the skin for my laptop!
If not, then internet explorer will be no slower or using no less resources than FF!

G

I need speed which ever the browser be, Looking forward for it.

masterclam

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
i have always loved the minimalist design with lots of screen area with chrome, but I also liked the customizability of firefox, I am glad they are heading in a stripped down look with advanced feel direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS