This is When You Will Get Windows 7 RTM

Status
Not open for further replies.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
considering we have use of windows 7 right now, for free. im not tooooooooo excited about the official release.

HOWEVER. it will be nice to see all the prebuilt systems and laptops (especially laptops) using windows7, with all their power saving crap involved.

i say this because i was looking at getting an acer timeline. 3810TG actually. the downer is it comes with windows vista, and can obtain 8 hours of use with it. i read a couple places people installed windows 7 and lost 4 hours of use time. (seems maybe slightly exagerated.) the reason is, the os that is built into the laptop has several power saving features specific to that laptop. itll be nice to see those implimented into windows 7.

or maybe i could just turn aero off. i bet that would solve the mysterious 4 hour difference.

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Nice! I can have it downloaded and start upgrading PCs on the weekend. I have said it multiple times here but if you have more than a couple of PCs and use Microsoft products you should get a Technet subscription.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
How does the technet subscription work, does it mean that for $350-ish I get full access to how ever many copies of the OS I need, or what exactly?

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]FrozenGpu[/nom]How does the technet subscription work, does it mean that for $350-ish I get full access to how ever many copies of the OS I need, or what exactly?[/citation]

It's like $350 bucks and allows you to download unrestricted copies and use them as you need.

[citation][nom]FrozenGpu[/nom]How does the technet subscription work, does it mean that for $350-ish I get full access to how ever many copies of the OS I need, or what exactly?[/citation]
You can get up to 5 keys which you can use on up to 5 systems.

cjmcgee

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]ckthecerealkiller[/nom]It's like $350 bucks and allows you to download unrestricted copies and use them as you need.[/citation]

For evaluation purposes only, and they can only be used by the license holder. Using them for production or for personal use is a violation of the license agreement. MSDN subscription is similar; you can download and install as many copies as you want but only for development and testing purposes by the license holder.

chrisv815

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I can't see how they are ready to release this. I have been using RC 7100 64bit and its buggy as all hell. I am getting random reboots every hour at least and lockups. I didn't have as many issues with the beta.
Now I realize its a driver somewhere, but my stuff is all new and if the drivers aren't stable how can you release this to a retail box where noobs will install and not know what to do? only MS.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
chris, the releases are hit and miss with different hardware, while one version could work for you, the next might not. meanwhile, i may have the exact opposite results.

your best bet is to find a revision that works well on your machine, and stick with it for awhile. ive updated my revision several times, and a couple times, it definately made my machine less stable. BSODs were very common on a couple of revisions for me.

(7100 was stable on one of my machines, while being constantly BSODing on another.)

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]cjmcgee[/nom]For evaluation purposes only, and they can only be used by the license holder. Using them for production or for personal use is a violation of the license agreement. MSDN subscription is similar; you can download and install as many copies as you want but only for development and testing purposes by the license holder.[/citation]

Actually that's not entirely true. Most of the software comes with Retail licensing which allows however many installations per the key type. For most OS's it is generally 5 installs per key. You can get additional keys if needed. The license for these are the retail agreement that everyone uses - only for your use, you can't rent it or sell it, etc.

Microsoft can also label software as evaluation only - then the license would not allow you to use the software in a production environment. I have never heard of someone's non-work office home environment called a production environment but I am sure some here would love to argue the point.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]chrisv815[/nom]I can't see how they are ready to release this. I have been using RC 7100 64bit and its buggy as all hell. I am getting random reboots every hour at least and lockups. I didn't have as many issues with the beta. Now I realize its a driver somewhere, but my stuff is all new and if the drivers aren't stable how can you release this to a retail box where noobs will install and not know what to do? only MS.[/citation]

I have been using 7100 since it came out and have had zero issues so far other then a componant in a game i play not being compatable.

G

Well I have an msdn subscription and only thing I still have is the rc, still no rtm or final version on msdn.

Status
Not open for further replies.