This Is Why GTA V On PC Arrives After Console

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I want a "thank you PC master race players, we owe you our very success from the start" edition. otherwise i'm going to torrent it. ah, no, i forgot i already decided to torrent it because i paid for gta4 (played 32 minutes) and maxpayne3 which was stereo audio. so rockstar owes me money.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
@vmem. You do realise that when steam discounts by 50% they've found sales go up by 1000%. So the devs make more money on a sale than at any other time. How is that much more sales bad for the industry?

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
If they released the pc version at the same time as the console version then most people will pirate the pc version rather than buy any version.

leeb2013

Honorable

I don't think it's negative feedback about the delay itself (although it does fall after Xmas), rather the reason for the delay ie. the marketing BS that it's going to be optimised for PC when in reality it's probably to maximise console sales and the pc version will not look any better. People don't like to be BS'd that they are waiting for something better to run on their expensive machines, only to get something which isn't better.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"I can't wait to pair my R9 295X2 with this and enjoy my ~30fps."

You never know---after all Max Payne 3, while being an otherwise pretty disappointing game, ran great even at launch, so RS *can* make a good PC port.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Technically, they don't need to do any optimizations porting it to the PC. The bigger issue are PC players. Everyone knows Rockstar will need 3 months to build a player base on the consoles before the PC gamers start raping everyone with their fast reaction times and instantaneous movements using a mouse and keyboard.

It's a question of value.
I've only ever bought one PC game at full price, because it was worth it.

Want people paying more? Make something worth it. As it stands, the market is artificially inflated, and has been for years.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Well, Rockstar has already given us PC people the finger and are making us wait a year and a half just to play a half assed console port, why pay full price since I've been forced to wait so long already?
Its a $5 Steam sale for me, they don't like it, start releasing within a month or two after the console release.

Xearo231

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
The only thing R* has going for them, in hopes of a quality port, is the job they did with Max Payne 3. It ran fairly well on my hardware, and seeing that both games use the same engine, you can keep your hopes up that they will not make the same mistake they did with IV.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Honestly, I would rather them take atleast a year longer before they release the game on PC. Everyone is so hyped up about wanting it NOW, but in reality, that is in part the reason why game ports are so bad. Everyone is rushing them, or rather the general hype is. If they spent atleast a good year or so on the game, and really utilized that time trying to optimize the game to its max, we could even see 4 year old desktops running it at medium settings. But no. We are forced to buy hundreds of dollars (some thousands) in hardware so that we can play shitty console ports that aren't optimized at all.

mariano guntin

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
First, you can't compare poor power pc console ports to PC, with fine x86 amd systems almost equal to actual PC ports. So porting to PC now is not complicated. Easy cake.

Second, there is graphic optimization, so waiting more than a year and a few more months to make it even better has sense. GTA V looking better than any other system is a FACT, so the only BS here are some comments.

Re0

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
FU rockstar. set back the PC version once again! by time you release this for PC it will be Ancient! will just buy for Ps4. stuff your january date for PC. was looking forward to that but again you let down for pc users.

Trun187

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2014
it might be BS, but if they can polish the game even better for PC its worth the wait. You figure they make these console games with PCs but are limited to what they put into them due to the power of the console. Now that they bascially have a no limit they can add more things to make the game look better. I myself cant wait to see it

Domarius

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2003
I work in the marketing and advertising industry and I'll tell you that is a BS answer. They are delaying it to maximize console sales. That is what their investors want and they were instructed to make something up to appease the pc gamers. Plain and simple. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if GTA V ends up running as clunky on PC as GTA 4 does.

And is it weird that I can tell which articles are written by Kevin Parrish just by reading the title on the main page of Tom's. I can't do that with any of the other writers, but I can always spot a Kevin. Something about his writing makes it stand out from the others but I can't quite put my finger on the reason why.
I work in the marketing and advertising industry and I'll tell you that is a BS answer. They are delaying it to maximize console sales. That is what their investors want and they were instructed to make something up to appease the pc gamers. Plain and simple. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if GTA V ends up running as clunky on PC as GTA 4 does.

Well I work in the game development industry, and I'll tell you that's a perfectly logical answer. PC gamers are religiously devoted to their more powerful hardware and expect more as a result.

You completely ignored the development side of it, and the huge feature list promised. They can't just not do any of that, it'd be pretty obvious, so they're not just lying. And that stuff will take that amount of time, it's not easy.

Did you ever think that both could be true? Maximise your console sales, then make a good PC version and cash in on that market too. It's good business sense and pleases everybody.

As a PC gamer, I'll be buying the PC version when it comes out.

GTA5 will be awesome on PC. Why?

There was a really good article that went quite in depth on the coding that went into the game. They had the PC in mind during most of the coding. So much so, in fact, that you might consider the XBOX 360 and PS3 versions as "ports" of the PC version.

I suspect that has a lot to do with the "PC" nature of the new consoles. They must have known quite a while ago that the new consoles would use an x86 CPU so the basic coding would be nearly identical for PC/XBOX1/PS4.

Now I suspect the extra "polishing" for the PC version is more about compatibility due to the PC hardware variations and drivers which introduces a lot of extra complexity.

*Whatever the case, unlike GTA4 which sucks on every PC I've tried GTA5 should scale quite nicely and run fairly well even on a modest PC.

lilkuz2005

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
i think some of you are right about the holding out on PC to make more profits from console sales, it makes since for them to do this, but, we all know that last gen consoles (ps3 xbox360) had some users with modifications to the software or hardware to circumvent the security and DRM that the companies implemented to stop piracy, the Xbox 360 version was out on the webs like a week before any game retailers released it. we all know that its a little more work to modify a console to play backed up retail games, but we know there are some that do it, lets just hope that the PC port for GTA V is better than GTA IV, im running a pretty strong machine that still struggles to run that game maxed out, my $3,200 alienware m17xr4 with high end specs has trouble running it

Bill Adams

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
It takes considerably less time to release for console, since there is only one combination to deal with. With PC, they have to release for several combinations of poorly manufactured motherboards, video cards, and ram.
You can't blame the programmers for this, when it's obviously the fault of cheap hardware manufacturers, and those who wish to buy the cheapest components from eBay and Amazon.

swiftleeo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014

Well they should optimize for mid to high end builds. Noone expects them to optimize a game for a 10 year old piece of junk.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
GTAIV ran fine on my Windows system, looked and played much better than the console version(s) even with awesome graphical mods installed. If it's that much of an improvement again then it's worth the wait. There's plenty of games out there and I'll probably only finish 25% of the ones I start before something else comes out and catches my eye. I'm in no hurry for something to release unless I've fallen for their pre-order hype and start to miss my money.

I am a born again PC gamer & I do not own nor do I ever play any pirated games. I own over 200 A titles (non steam games) and probably 150 Steam Games, this is not allot compared to some (Europeans, Americans) simply because out of a currency point of view you guys get more value for money & games are cheaper so you can own more.

I would have bought this game's collector's edition if it had one at launch for PC. (To give some clarity I own an Xbox 360 so I could have played GTA V at launch), Rockstar however (who I have supported with every single title they have ever released except bully 1 & 2, even GTA 1, GTA London) gave me a loyal fan a big middle finger.

I was already irritated because I had to buy GTA IV on Xbox because there was no PC at launch but that was fine next time I said.

Next time didn't come, I was one of the first 100 000 to sign that online petition. A year later Rockstar reveals it will release GTA V I went back to that website tried to remove my name/ point from it.

I had no longer cared, I still don't you have lost me as a customer. You will have to do some serious ass kissing if you want me back. I don't like console exclusives, I never have, even back when I had a PS2 I wanted to play that game on PC not on PS2.

Why rob me of my free choice of preference? I am sorry but there are many MANY publishers that still cater for my needs and release on PC before others (Blizzard comes to mind) I am sure Rockstar & Blizzard know eachother well & Blizzard is the richer of the 2, I have never heard of a Rockstarcon ? Have you? So what makes Blizzard so rich? Oh that's right PC gamers!

No thanks Jeff

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009

you should try GTAIV on my PC, run's silky smooth with mods, not a single drop in performance. Did i mention it looks fantastic? Oh right it looks fantastic! I cannot wait to get my hands on 5 its too bad by that time i won't have much time to play it with my new job. Hopefully its more fun then my 360 copy.

hlaks

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I hate how some games are console exclusive. At least this game will actually make it onto Pc, unlike most of halo series.

Status
Not open for further replies.