This New European Privacy Law Is Why You're Getting All Those Subscription Emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Thanks for fixing the click-bait title. Informative titles are better, and I think the public has gotten wary of the click-bait style. Personally, I find them repulsive and instinctively avoid them.

This data collecting is a bunch of BS and needs to stop! All this info is being collected on us, then at a later date we'll hear of a data breach and that our "PROTECTED" data was stolen. If this isn't a good enough reason to ban the collection of sensitive data on us, I don't know what is. What a crock!!!!!

And what's up with this? "Razer, which says that unless you agree to its new terms your mouse or phone will stop working.." Seriously? The Razor products you have purchased will stop working if you do not agree with their terms of service? Is this a joke? If this is true, SCREW YOU RAZOR AND EVERY OTHER COMPANY FORCING THE SAME BS ON IT'S CUSTOMERS! I say all of you Razor owners raise hell over this nonsense. I do not own a single Razor product, and won't consider owning any if this is how they wish to treat their customers.

I better cut it short before I get too pissed! :)

All I had to do to keep my membership here at Toms was to send them a blood, urine, and stool sample. So I just sent them a pair of my draws to cover all of that. :pt1cable:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I think only you get to tell that one...

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Really sounds like Razer should be preparing for lawsuits if hardware will stop functioning due to a change in their Terms of Use....

N0BOX

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
@DookieDraws I actually stopped using my Razer Naga Epic MMORPG gaming mouse in part (the main reason being that it was old and worn out, had had the notorious double-click issue, which I had fixed, and) because Razer switched to requiring that you signed up with an email address for an online/cloud account in order to use their "Synapse" configuration software (the software that allows you configure mouse button bindings, virtual surround for positional audio, "Chroma" unified device LED color effects and many other device-specific functions (firmware upgrades, keyboard macros, etc). I chose to get a Roccat Nyth, instead, and have actually been much happier with it.

Even if you use a fake email address they are gathering information about color choices, macros, and games played (and much more if they set their software up to spy on your window and process lists) that is linked to your IP address, if not to a "real" email address Every new IP address you use, including any VPN IPs, are all linked together using that fake email address. In the end, your data is theirs.

When I am forced to give out an email address, I create a new spam email account through either Yahoo or G+. When I am forced to give a phone number, I use a spam caller number that called my mobile in the past (I use White Pages to reverse lookup phone numbers I do not know - White Pages allows users to report spam/fraud numbers).

Problem solved. I never give out my real number nor my real email address assigned to an IMAP Outlook account. The only exceptions are for official business needs like utility companies and tax revenue offices as well as home & auto insurance and banking. Oh, and for Tom's Hardware of course for sweepstakes and giveaways. :)

Also, I only use old PCs and laptops I don't care about nor have any personal info on for these account creations, so they can datamine nothing and like it because there's nothing there for them to use. My personal business/productivity PC and laptop never touch these spam accounts, and both sets of computers are run through VPNs. Yahoo, Google, and all those other companies and websites forcing me to give an email and phone to use their services or products can go pound sand. :kaola:

BryanFRitt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Pro-privacy by making agreements to not spy, punishes those that are honest and keep their agreements, and don't try to spy.

I'd rather make it so no one can spy. No need to punish the honest, or do mind reading to find out what others know.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

How? Pull the plug on the internet? Otherwise, you need laws before you can enforce them.

BryanFRitt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
"Pro-privacy by making agreements to not spy, punishes those that are honest and keep their agreements, and don't try to spy."

I'd rather make it so no one can spy. No need to punish the honest, or do mind reading to find out what others know."

I probably should have added something like "as much as possible", no spying done at all is probably impossible.

Lostinlodos

Distinguished
May 26, 2015
I have only one thought on the GDPR... who’s going to PAY ME for all the WASTED time I need to spend going back and having to OPT IN to everything I was previously opted in to?
Because someone IS going to compensate me!

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Calling out others for their place on the Halls of Shame would be funny if Toms didnt nag me EVERY DAMNED TIME to accept their new GDPR cookie warning.
And yes i have all the cookies from Toms saved, happens even if i don't purge my cookies and just close and reopen the browser (Firefox). This needs attention as the TOS could change behind the acceptance and after 10+ times (if that to be honest) no one is reading those rules again.

Status
Not open for further replies.