This New Range Extender Plugs Directly Into Electrical Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
100 bucks for a range extender? You could get another router for that much that has a range extender feature on it(not to mention being a boatload more useful). Seems silly to me.

bdizzle11

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Literally every single range extender plugs "directly into electrical outlet". How much did Amped Wireless pay for this article to be written and make it seem like a unique product?

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
100 bucks for a range extender? You could get another router for that much that has a range extender feature on it(not to mention being a boatload more useful). Seems silly to me.
Find me a Wireless AC router for under $100

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Find me a Wireless AC router for under $100
Here are 3, but there are more on newegg alone so...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162071
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156454
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320179

Separated lines - SS

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Literally every single range extender plugs "directly into electrical outlet". How much did Amped Wireless pay for this article to be written and make it seem like a unique product?
I was thinking exactly the same thing; this isn't new at all, in fact there are a bunch of wireless hubs and extenders that plug directly into wall sockets already. Also, as far as features go it's a pretty pathetic one; wall sockets are almost universally the worst place to put wireless devices; as a general rule IMO higher and more central is better, and that's usually where your electrical outlets are NOT.

unknown_

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
haha tom's...your readers are supposed to be relatively smart...you are undoing all good will toward you...

jbl775

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I hate that these range extender products always create a NEW network name(s).....is there no way to extend the range of a (consumer grade / home) network without adding additional network names? To have it operate seamlessly as one large network, as opposed to 2 separate (but connected) networks (i.e. original 2.4Ghz + extended 2.4Ghz)? And to boost throughput, it would be great if you could connect the extender via Cat6 back to the main router. I've already done this with a 2nd router, but it still creates the 2nd set of network names....I keep waiting for the product which will solve this...but it never seems to arrive.

Then you'd have the issue where you get devices constantly jumping back and forth on networks. Having to handshake each time you say walk into the kitchen. Atleast, that was my issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.