Question This Prebuilt PC looks too good to be true for the price . Should i buy??

abdullah_27

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
Hey guys,
So I was browsing local PC classifides when i stumbled upon an incredible prebuilt PC. Why incredible?? It costs 55,000 PKR(about 388.21 USD) only!! Now, i am not that tech-savvy but i did recognize some incredible parts in the specs which are staggering for the demanded price. I believe it is legit as the seller included close up pictures and also because the add itself was in the "featured" section. But God knows best.But as I said, I am not that well-versed in computers, and hence my questions; Is it any good?Should I buy it??about how much would it cost at retail??

PC specs(copy pasted):

START

Casing: Reddragon Sideswipe (4 preinstalled fans)

Processor: Intel Core i5 - 3570 + HSF Copper (top of the line variant).

Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M/CSM

GPU: XFX-RX580 8GB Dual Fan (top of the line variant).

RAM: Kingston DDR3 (4GBx2=8GB)

HDD: Western Digital Blue SATA (500GB)

SSD: Sandisk SATA 3 (X110-128GB)

PSU: Turbocool 510 Watts

Branded mouse and keyboard and all the cables, including
power supply cable and HDMI cable are free. All parts
are brand new except few which are also pin packed.

Some high end games are installed for benchmark testing e.g. Rise of the
Tomb Raider, Far Cry 5, Metro Last Light, Hell Blade Etc

END

All suggestions are welcome ..pls comment even if u know little about the components(trust me, it will help; i know nothing). Thank you!!

Reference link(if u wanna check out the add itself);
https://www.olx.com.pk/item/gaming-pc-ultra-hd-above-60-fps-iid-1005782573

DSzymborski

Titan
There's no real set retail price for these parts in 2019 as very few of them would be found at the retail level anymore. You're mostly talking secondary markets. It's likely a reasonable price for what it is; while I'd probably put this closer to $300 in the US, we also have a more robust market for components and better pricing (it's totally unfair, I agree, but this is the situation).

But I'd consider it the equivalent of $450 US rather than $388. Why? Because that PSU is quite literal garbage. If I was in the market for a used PC and getting that one, I wouldn't even turn it on without having something of gray-letter Corsair CX level or better powering it. If you care about the safety of your parts, this PC needs a new PSU.

abdullah_27

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
Thank for the replies guys.. could you guys please elaborate as to why the power supply is bad??(not questioning your judgement, just asking. i really have no clue).And if i do decide to buy it, what psu should i replace it with( with minimal expense)?

P.s

I am planning on gaming in full HD(1080p)
Oh and i also forgot to add, according to the seller, every component in this build is new (except for some).
Thanks again!!

It's fairly average for the price. You wouldn't be able to build a better system from new parts, but the parts in the system (aside from the RX 580) aren't exactly new either.
If you do buy it then make sure to replace the PSU before someone dies.

abdullah_27

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
It's fairly average for the price. You wouldn't be able to build a better system from new parts, but the parts in the system (aside from the RX 580) aren't exactly new either.
If you do buy it then make sure to replace the PSU before someone dies.

hmmm ..
All is fair amd good. But could you solve my other queiry?; why is the PSU so bad??
i mean all of you told me that the psu is bad, but not WHY.
see, my confusion comes with the fact that he power supply here is 510 watts . and i dont think the total power draw even come close to that, so what is it that i am missing?? The question may seem stupid but i really dont know ..
(i googled the psu , couldnt find results . and when i did , they were from sub-2010.
so, Is the psu being too old the reason why
its bad??)

DSzymborski

Titan
Not quite as bad as garbage as I had completely forgotten this is a PC Power&Cooling PSU and Turbocool isn't the company name as this line is from a very long time ago (Turbocool is a similar name to some really nasty things). Hardly a good one in 2019 though. The fact that it is ancient is a pretty big deal, it's an extremely old design, and is only realistically a 400W PSU (that's what's available on the +12V rail and what the bulk of the power needs to be delivered at since the Pentium III). Plus, it doesn't have any eight-pin connectors which means that if it's running this GPU, which requires an eight-pin, it's using a power adapter, which is a no-no given that's not an uncommon place for PC fires to start.

This was actually a fine PSU...in 2004/2005 or so when it was actually made. You're already getting used parts without any kind of warranty; it would be nuts to trust these parts to a group-regulated PSU this old.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
So I was browsing local PC classifides when i stumbled upon an incredible prebuilt PC. Why incredible?? It costs 55,000 PKR(about 388.21 USD) only!! Now, i am not that tech-savvy but i did recognize some incredible parts in the specs which are staggering for the demanded price. I believe it is legit as the seller included close up pictures and also because the add itself was in the "featured" section. But God knows best.But as I said, I am not that well-versed in computers, and hence my questions; Is it any good?Should I buy it??about how much would it cost at retail??

PC specs(copy pasted):

START

Casing: Reddragon Sideswipe (4 preinstalled fans)

Processor: Intel Core i5 - 3570 + HSF Copper (top of the line variant).

Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M/CSM

GPU: XFX-RX580 8GB Dual Fan (top of the line variant).

RAM: Kingston DDR3 (4GBx2=8GB)

HDD: Western Digital Blue SATA (500GB)

SSD: Sandisk SATA 3 (X110-128GB)

PSU: Turbocool 510 Watts

Branded mouse and keyboard and all the cables, including
power supply cable and HDMI cable are free. All parts
are brand new except few which are also pin packed.

Some high end games are installed for benchmark testing e.g. Rise of the
Tomb Raider, Far Cry 5, Metro Last Light, Hell Blade Etc

END

All suggestions are welcome ..pls comment even if u know little about the components(trust me, it will help; i know nothing). Thank you!!

Reference link(if u wanna check out the add itself);
https://www.olx.com.pk/item/gaming-pc-ultra-hd-above-60-fps-iid-1005782573
Little dated. I am assuming that Rs55000 is in Indian Rupees? That would be about $789 USD. The Processor is an Ivy Bridge which is the 3rd Generation of the Intel Core i series. The Power Supply is one that I don't recognize and that is troubling. You should always use a good PSU even if it means cutting back somewhere else in the build. The reason for that, if you put all the good stuff together and then cheap out on the PSU. It goes and it can take the entire rig with it and you are starting from square one again.