News This Raspberry Pi System Monitor Displays Your PC's Hardware Stats

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
There was a time when I used to turn on the computer and game. Just game. My longest was 38 hrs almost non stop (with critical essential breaks ;)) on my Pentium 100 Mhz and Cirrus logic card and a black and white monitor.

Now, all I do is optimize the game looking at the stats on my 3700X GTX 1080. Download another game on steam, optimize the settings, see stats and feel happy about it. And it goes on. Never do I get enough time to play games nor the interest. Guess netflix spoiled me half way and I am getting old. Probably I will sell my PC and buy a laptop.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, it sounds like he wrote a Windows program that allows various stats to be queried over the network, and then a Java client program that queries them and displays the results.

The fact that he's running the client on a Pi is almost incidental, aside from using the Pi's custom LCD rather than plugging its HDMI output into a standard monitor. In that case, he should be able to run the client locally, and just display the info on another monitor. Or run it on a second PC/Mac/whatever.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, it sounds like he wrote a Windows program that allows various stats to be queried over the network, and then a Java client program that queries them and displays the results.
If I were LAN gaming with this guy, I'd prank him by finding out what ports it uses and spamming them with massive numbers of requests. There's probably a 1% chance he's using any kind of security or authentication.