This site is SLOW to load pages due to massive amounts of ads loading!

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I've always found that Tom's is slower to load than most every other website I have recently visited...I'm pretty sure this is due to the huge amount of ads that are trying to load onto the page... I have 1 mbps broadband BUT almost every other side I visit loads pretty quickly.

Using Google Chrome as my default browser latest build 11.0.696.71

I have also tried IE6!!!! and for some reason it seems to load a few seconds faster but I can't imagine why!

I don't think it is a glitch per say but the amount of ad cookies and ads really do seem to slow things down....

Actually I noticed that today it seems that it was particularly slow with a page here typically loading in around 15 seconds for me anyhow.....also noticed that even after the page loads it will hang for a second or so until I start to scroll ..then it frees it up.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Believe it or not, much of the slowness you are reporting is likely coming from one particular javascript. We're working on optimizing in our next round of site updates, and you should see a new version of Tom's coming soon. :)

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

@jpishgar:

I figured that there could be more than one issue, but wasn't really sure. I appreciate the reply.

I really enjoy Tom's particularly the forums and the recent test you did concerning a 500$ prebuilt pc vs home built.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Ads are weird, especially on what they are about, why there are about something and where they come from.

So for block programs to say, anyways are probably very useful. Usually have a hard time working with all ads, for whatever reason, but still. Rather of interest or not, is hard placed.

But to say there is a website for ads is anyones guess. Rather one would even make since would be like to say, i've even searched for an ad based website. More then likely not, on yet at least, but still.

Differences are differences within many uses to say with what changes are made from them?? Maybe...

I've done a few things to say myself at times in ideas of rather an internet browser is faster or better to say then another, off my interests i think the most though.

Old versions due vary for whatever thats not so bad of use for them still, at times.

To know why, even on some guesses to say of something, i don't know. Might say "hit" more toward one reason then another, but still.

Interests of why something would or wouldnt be any better might find there place for whatever reason, but i dont know.

Optimizing, does say, it has a greater of places of use though, yes? Probably little to argue here, but that of it. Still, "nich(e/y)" maybe to say of all. Anyones guess to say as well.

But seem to leave alot , to say, hough too. Maybe not, I don't know.

Ads are ads, you can argue them all day long, until the day of your first ad. Rather to argue then, i don't know. Most ads to say may not be much of argue, but the fact that the pages seems to be loading slowly. Yes? I don't know.

Still alot of thought of sometimes though. Rather one ad or alot, but maybe not. Ha ha ha...Idk.

Toms staff to say seems to have some solution, without use of ads or with use, to say on either. So, who knows, rather of anything else for a better part of say with use of ads still is left to what that was in use for the better. Again, though too, with what might be a better place of interest for the issue is taken into some effort. Yes?

zamoritasj

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I have noticed on chrome and firefox, the only thing I can see is the top of the webpage, and the comments. Rarely, will I have any information to view, oh but the homepage works fine. Just when I click on anything, I get top of page, ads, and comments, but nothing else. Everything in between is missing. I haven't tried firefox with no script, but I'll do it today.

G

You should read some of K-zon's other posts! I almost banned him thinking he was a spammer with the gibberish he was posting.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I noticed lately that the loading has become very slow freezing up the pages as they load, this only seems to be a Tom's trait, as I visit many other sites with no problems, it is definitely due to the huge amount of flash ads. It is worse than ever now.