[SOLVED] This socket is toast right?

Solution
Socket damage is considered user caused and will not be covered by warranty.
$350 seems a bit harsh.
I once sent a gigabyte motherboard in for socket replacement, it cost me $50.

You can try to bend the pin yourself; sometimes that can work.
Sometimes a pin is not truly essential for you use(integrated graphics perhaps?); you can try and see if a processor works ok.

Otherwise, yes... toast.
Socket damage is considered user caused and will not be covered by warranty.
$350 seems a bit harsh.
I once sent a gigabyte motherboard in for socket replacement, it cost me $50.

You can try to bend the pin yourself; sometimes that can work.
Sometimes a pin is not truly essential for you use(integrated graphics perhaps?); you can try and see if a processor works ok.

Otherwise, yes... toast.

Solution
just the bent pins in the upper left quadrant? You should be able to bend those back no real issue. You could try asking a computer store to do it, I've also heard of some people asking jewelers to do it for them.

and as geofelt mentioned, not all pins are needed for your motherboard to work, so you could just get lucky.

smamic82

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Thanks for your reply
So if I'm understanding correctly, and please see my markup pic for reference...
The area in the blue circle are where the bent pins are?
Is the area in the red rectangle normal? I can't seem to find a clear image of a cpu socket that looks like mine does in that area.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
Agreed, I would say your best option it either try to (very carefully) bend the bent pins back, or see if you can find a technician to help you out. They don't have to be perfect, as long as they are making good contact with the pads on the CPU.

They are very fragile, though, so extreme caution is advised.

near the middle, on the bottom right curve of the circle, and maybe 3 rows under the circle to the left a little is where i see potential bent pins, although it really shouldnt be too hard to see them for you if the are actually bent, just a little hard to tell from a picture.

the middle of the socket looks fine

Did you try the motherboard and it didnt work prior to trying to RMA it? did it come damaged? or did you drop something on the socket?