News This UK Company Built Dirt-Cheap Intel LGA115X CPU Delid and Die Lapping Tools

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
ihs lapping sure, but i'd never lap my cpu's die as you risk SO much destroying it.
If done carefully should be no issue. I use a glass countertop and tape a sheet of 3000 grit sandpaper to it - and use a motion similar to a DA sander - after 10 or 15 strokes, check it - keep doing this until the surface of the IHS is uniformly abraded - then wipe clean with IPA - I only lap for flatness, not for thinness. CPUs from both AMD and Intel benefit from lapping for flatness - 2 t0 6 degress usually.

Reactions: bit_user
Apr 21, 2020
If done carefully should be no issue. I use a glass countertop and tape a sheet of 3000 grit sandpaper to it - and use a motion similar to a DA sander - after 10 or 15 strokes, check it - keep doing this until the surface of the IHS is uniformly abraded - then wipe clean with IPA - I only lap for flatness, not for thinness. CPUs from both AMD and Intel benefit from lapping for flatness - 2 t0 6 degress usually.

Wouldn't it be better to actually use a DA? With polishing compound instead pf sandpaper?

This sounds insane, but I can see where it might be useful to make the Silicone on the CPU's match up when you're setting up a dually. It can be tough synchronizing the processors sometimes.

i think you misread my post.

i dont have an issue doing it to the ihs.

its the actual DIE I would not risk lapping.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
i think you misread my post.

i dont have an issue doing it to the ihs.

its the actual DIE I would not risk lapping.
I think you misread his post. 10 or 15 strokes with 3000 grit sandpaper would do nothing for your IHS. He's obviously talking about die lapping.

FWIW, I've lapped 2 CPUs (IHS-only) and 3 heatsinks. I have some clue about lapping.

I sort of attempted a de-lid, once (razor blade method), but chickened out before I really got into it. It just seemed way too easy to cut into the CPU's PCB.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
ihs lapping sure, but i'd never lap my cpu's die as you risk SO much destroying it.
It just comes down to what you're willing to spend on your PC, for the utmost performance. For those cost-insensitive individuals who want to squeeze out every last MHz, it does make some sense. You cannot beat direct-die water cooling, and lapping the die is needed to do that optimally.

However, as you point out, you must be willing to write off the CPU. I wouldn't do it, but I can certainly understand why some would.

hennes

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Or just ask your laptop supplier to do it for you (and add a rockit heatspeader as well)

It just comes down to what you're willing to spend on your PC, for the utmost performance.

Performance is one thing. But low idle temperatures, and more importantly also low fan speeds even in a laptop is a good enough reason for me to ask my supplier to do it for me.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
read it again. they literally stated "ihs" not die.
Yeah, that was clearly a typo.

Context (i.e. the part of your post he quoted + what he said) and talk of 10 - 15 strokes of 3000 grit make it abundantly clear the he was talking about die lapping. That much sanding won't even begin to take the logo off of an IHS, much less do anything about flatness.

Last edited: