[SOLVED] This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it - how to fix

witteraaf

Honorable
Mar 10, 2014
I cannot open the front page of a certain website: volkskrant.nl. I get the following notification:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

This problem occurs when I open the page in:
  • Chrome on laptop (Windows 10)
  • IE on laptop (although occasionally it does work )
  • Frontpage via a link I placed in an html page
  • Safari on ipad (bookmarks are synchronized)
  • Chrome on ipad (BOOKMARKS ARE NOT SYNCHRONIZED)
You would think it is a software problem in the laptop, eg in Windows. However, the fact that the problem also occurs on my ipad (iOS) indicates that this cannot be the case.
It does NOT occur on Chrome on my phones.

In forums this question is asked more often and the answer is usually that there is a problem with RSS feed, but that does not apply here because I do not want to open the code in a stand alone doc, but simply in a web browser.

I have this problem ONLY with the front page of the Volkskrant. I can visit other pages (also from this same website by navigating to them via Google search)
but via these other pages I still can't surf to the front page without getting the error.

How can this be fixed?

Last edited:
Solution
If problem comes and goes and you have changed nothing on your end then I would expect the root problem to be the source website/webpage (i.e., volkskrant.nl).

When it works try downloading the source code and/or view source.

Then do the same again when the link does not work.

Could be tedious but comparing the results may prove useful.

And if you know XML/HTML you may know where to specifically look versus going line by line.

That said (full disclosure - going out of my comfort zone now) I will add the following link:

https://help.smarterqueue.com/article/152-why-cant-i-import-content-from-my-blog-or-rss-feed

Note the W3C Feed Validator. Do not know if that is or can be directly helpful.

However, the link or similar...

Ralston18

Titan
Did the problem just start?

Question: "Frontpage via a link I placed in an html page" is that a html webpage you designed?

(Also: Do you have and/or do you need permission from volkskrant.nl to republish their content in your webpage?)

Anyway the problem may be due to number of possibilities. RSS included.

For example:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-an-rss-feed/

For example note blue formatted comments (about 1/5 of the way down) regarding Google.

witteraaf

Honorable
Mar 10, 2014
Did the problem just start?

Question: "Frontpage via a link I placed in an html page" is that a html webpage you designed?

(Also: Do you have and/or do you need permission from volkskrant.nl to republish their content in your webpage?)

Anyway the problem may be due to number of possibilities. RSS included.

For example:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-an-rss-feed/

For example note blue formatted comments (about 1/5 of the way down) regarding Google.

The problem started last week, lasted for 1 day, then it seemed to have solved itself. Now it has started again.
The web page in Front page I am talking about is a file on my computer, it is not published. I placed the link to test if it would work (which it didn't).
I find it so weird that it occurs in various browsers and on 2 platforms.
I don't know anything about RSS. If the problem would be RSS, would I be able to fix it myself (HOW?) or is it a fault in the webpage?

Ralston18

Titan
If problem comes and goes and you have changed nothing on your end then I would expect the root problem to be the source website/webpage (i.e., volkskrant.nl).

When it works try downloading the source code and/or view source.

Then do the same again when the link does not work.

Could be tedious but comparing the results may prove useful.

And if you know XML/HTML you may know where to specifically look versus going line by line.

That said (full disclosure - going out of my comfort zone now) I will add the following link:

https://help.smarterqueue.com/article/152-why-cant-i-import-content-from-my-blog-or-rss-feed

Note the W3C Feed Validator. Do not know if that is or can be directly helpful.

However, the link or similar links may lead you to something that will be helpful.

Solution