Thoughts on building a Custom iBuyPower PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DBC___

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
Hello guys,

I was looking to get a gaming PC for about $1300-$1500 and have finalized the parts for my build.

The problem is I have never ever build a PC before and I am nervous to build one by myself as I might end up flushing my hard earned money down the drain if I mess up the build.

I am an international student living in Baltimore and I have no friends here and I do not know anyone who can help me with this.

I was researching and stumbled upon the iBuyPower brand where you can choose the parts and also their manufacturer.

The specs I have finalized are coming up to $1490 on pccartpicker.com and iBuyPower are asking $1580 for the exact same build.

I was thinking $90 extra is a great price when you consider the 3 year labour service they provide and also the keyboard, mouse and Headset they are giving for free.

I called the local PC stores and they are asking for $120-$175 to build the computer for me if I bring in the parts to them. I think that is a lot of money. Plus they do not have any labour warranty or free accessories.

I was super excited and was thinking my weeks of dilemma was about to end after discovering iBuyPower until I decided to read the customer reviews on different forums and that has left me even more confused. It looks like one has to take a huge gamble buying a PC from these guys as the customers are either super excited or super disappointed.

Please suggest me a solution in the light of above mentioned scenario.

Thanks.

Solution

That really depends. I would not pay more than $100. To build the computer wont take much longer than an hour. The trick to installing windows is to let the computer do all the work. All you do is throw in the disk answer a few questions and wait. Same thing for the motherboard drivers. So $50 an hour seems like a good rate.

I suggest going to one of these phone repair shops. I am sure that they can do it. Remember, those prices are negotiable too. So if they quote you $150, say I'll do it for $100. Worst that can happen is they say no.

DBC___

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
@feelinfroggy777 That is sweet. Could you also suggest what should be the right price to pay to assemble the PC if I decide to go to a local technician?

That really depends. I would not pay more than $100. To build the computer wont take much longer than an hour. The trick to installing windows is to let the computer do all the work. All you do is throw in the disk answer a few questions and wait. Same thing for the motherboard drivers. So $50 an hour seems like a good rate.

I suggest going to one of these phone repair shops. I am sure that they can do it. Remember, those prices are negotiable too. So if they quote you $150, say I'll do it for $100. Worst that can happen is they say no.

Solution

DBC___

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
@feelinfroggy777 Exactly what I was thinking. I think $50-$75 is a fair price for putting the hardware together. I won't mind giving the guy $100 if I am impressed with his work and the cable management.

I can install the OS and update the bios myself. I have done that in the past.

Speaking of the cell phone repair stores. I work at a cellphone Retail store. We sell phones and SIM cards.