Question Thoughts on my plans for a new workstation?

kanatii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I'm planning a new build to replace my current workstation, which is just not fast enough anymore (apparently an i7 870 isn't high-end anymore?). The main application for this system is Agisoft Metashape (a photogrammetry app), followed by Lightroom and Photoshop. Gaming isn't much of a concern. A few notes on how Metashape differs from gaming:
  • it needs memory, lots of memory
  • it can push the CPU and GPU to near 100% for hours on end
  • it benefits from a GPU, but the upgrade curve is pretty flat (eg. an RTX 3090 is only 10% faster than a 3060Ti
Final note, I'm in Canada which means that some parts can be harder to find.

So here's my plan:
PartPicknotes
CPURyzen 5900x (at stock)(or 5800x if I can't find a 5900)
MotherboardGigabyte B550 Vision D-P
MemoryTeam T-Force Vulcan Z Gray 64GB (2x32GB)will probably upgrade to 128GB in the future
SSD 1Corsair MP600 1TB(or whatever 1TB PCIE4 drive is on sale)
SSD 2 Samsung 860 EVO SATA 1TBcarried over from current system
GPU GT 1030 2GB !!!! from current system, will replace with a RTX 3060 (or similar) when possible
PSUSeasonic Focus PX-650
CPU CoolerDark Rock Pro 4can I get away with something smaller?
CaseMetallicgear Neo Air Black (comes w/ 2 front 120mm fans)(or Phanteks P360A)
Exhaust FanScythe Kaze Flex PWM
OSWin 10 Pro

So, how does it look? Have I missed anything? Any better part options that I should consider?

I have this priced out at $2,500 CAD at the moment, which is about my budget.

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
I wouldn't go with a 550 motherboard. Get the 570.
The probability of "upgrading" RAM is always a gamble. RAM is sold in matched sets for a reason.
Have you looked at the benchmark results on Puget's website? THere are situations where the 5800 is faster than the 5900.
I think you would benefit from upgrading your GPU with the savings from buying the 5800 rather than the 5900. The benchmarks on Puget's website show all the 3000 series cards are similar, but they are WAY faster than your 1030.

kanatii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I wouldn't go with a 550 motherboard. Get the 570.
The probability of "upgrading" RAM is always a gamble. RAM is sold in matched sets for a reason.
Have you looked at the benchmark results on Puget's website? THere are situations where the 5800 is faster than the 5900.
I think you would benefit from upgrading your GPU with the savings from buying the 5800 rather than the 5900. The benchmarks on Puget's website show all the 3000 series cards are similar, but they are WAY faster than your 1030.

Thanks for the help!

What advantages would the 570 chipset offer? From my understanding the difference is mainly in the number of available PCI-E 4.0 lanes, which would mostly just offer more room for super-fast storage.

I'm mostly basing my build on Puget's benchmarks. The 5800x outperforms the 5900x for most of the mapping functions, but the 5900x wins for modelling (which I do more of). Though now that I look at it again, the competition is closer than I thought. I will probably end up with the 5800 regardless (the 5900 is nowhere to be found in Canada). Speaking of part shortages, I will definitely be replacing my GT 1030 ASAP, but at the moment GPUs are completely out of stock here.

I plan to stick with 64GB of memory for at least a couple of years. Is there a memory brand/manufacturer that would improve my chances of a successful upgrade-by-additon? Even if I have to drop from 3600 to 3200mhz to make it work?

Last edited: