Thoughts on Ping Results

RAM4all

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
Hello guys,

Last month I moved apartments and as a result, had to switch network providers. I went from using FiOS to Xfinity, and currently have the Gigabit plan (although I generally average around 480 Mbps download). My ping, especially in Battlefield I, seems too high (around 100 ping but sometimes it dips down into the 50s). For reference, with FiOS (and I was connecting wirelessly with FiOS) I would average about 20 ping on any game (LoL, Battlefield, Overwatch, etc) but now with most games I average around 40ish ping but ~100 with Battlefield I. Some context:

- I am connecting to my current network via ethernet, and I use the Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk 2-in-1 Modem/Router (a direct line from modem/router to computer)
- When I played the Battlefield V Beta, I was average around 19 ping
- I recently upgraded motherboards and CPUs, and now use a TR 1900X with an MSI X399 Pro Carbon MOBO and get the same ping frequencies
- My old residence was more like a townhouse (I believe I had my own fiber line) whereas now it's a traditional apartment

Could this just be slower because I'm sharing a fiber line with other people in the building, could Xfinity just be slower, or are there tweaks I could make in my router settings?

Thank you!

Solution
You can ping the gateways to your ISP, it's likely past them.

The way telecom routes is by the cheapest route.
To them those latency hops are nothing.

You can try a proxy service like WTFAST or asking the ISP to update it's routes to get a better latency.
A lot of the 1G plans can't deliver and sacrifice quality for more bandwidth.

the business plans usually have much better pipes, but cost a lot more for less bandwidth.
shop around and keep that in mind if there is no option and it's what you really want.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Are you just joining matchmaking? Use the server browser and find a server with a decent ping. If you got a ping of 19 in a BFV server then your high pings in BF1 are likely not caused by your network but the server you joined. BF1 matchmaking was never very good and especially now that it has less players finding a server with a decent ping every time is likely tough for matchmaking. I personally only use the server browser, hate matchmaking.

What is your ping in speedtest.net? That will likely be your best case scenario for ping in a game.

RAM4all

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017

Ahh yes, that pretty much fixed it (can't believe I didn't think of this).

Xfinity Speedtest: 460.7 Mbps Down/5.8 Mbps Up - 11 ms
Speedtest.net: 369.98 Down/6.04 Up - 8 ms

I assume for games like LoL there isn't much I can do since they don't have multiple servers?

Thanks for your help!

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I'm not sure about LOL. It has different servers for different regions I believe. From what I can find the North American server IP is 104.160.131.3. I just pinged it and got 28ms average. I have optimum cable internet, upstate New York area.

You can ping the gateways to your ISP, it's likely past them.

The way telecom routes is by the cheapest route.
To them those latency hops are nothing.

You can try a proxy service like WTFAST or asking the ISP to update it's routes to get a better latency.
A lot of the 1G plans can't deliver and sacrifice quality for more bandwidth.

the business plans usually have much better pipes, but cost a lot more for less bandwidth.
shop around and keep that in mind if there is no option and it's what you really want.

Solution