Thoughts on Prebuilt Im buying

johnyj7657

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
So after alot of back and forth between buying or building or waitng. I just went with the prebuilt.

Dell 8930 special edition
I7 8700k, 16gb ram, 512GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
GTX 1080
Paid $1650

Priced out the same build and im at $1500 without the video card so with lesser card im over 2k to build.
Decent buy? I was gonna wait a few months and hope gpu prices dropped and build but then thought why. Im gonna spend same amount either way I might as well enjoy it now and there is no way of knowing the market will recover on parts.

Seems to have everything I need

Solution

the other thing to worry about pre-builts is they not not upgrade friendly and you have to make sure that even though it has the K version of that CPU that dell still may have locked the BIOS down disabling any overclocking ability. upgrading CPU's down the road might be questionable too if Intel does make another generation that will work with the 370 boards.

It is a good buy in this current climate. Definitely a good buy.

Due to mining, the 1080 is now ridiculously expensive, and you just solved your own question when you say pricing it out is more expensive.
The only thing that worries me about the prebuilts are its PSU, but that is a good buy and build overall.

the other thing to worry about pre-builts is they not not upgrade friendly and you have to make sure that even though it has the K version of that CPU that dell still may have locked the BIOS down disabling any overclocking ability. upgrading CPU's down the road might be questionable too if Intel does make another generation that will work with the 370 boards.

Solution

johnyj7657

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
It' will let me overclock the 8700k.
I'm now worried about upgrading the cpu
I am on a 5 year pc plan. Meaning I usually build a high end pc then stick with it for at least 5 years. This time round I'm going rebuilt but it should last me.