Question Thoughts on Splitting Sata Power

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I'm running a Great Wall e750 750w 80Plus Gold ATX 12v power supply in my current system. I only have one SATA power cable available, which comes equipped with three SATA connectors.

The first, I have running to my fan control board on the back of my motherboard. The other two have splitters on them for my hard drives. So on the second SATA connector, I have a two drives from it via splitter #1. On the third SATA connector, I have two more drives via splitter #2. So that's a total of 5x things sources pulling power from the one sata power cable. I wanted to verify I'm not overwhelming that one chord with my devices.

But here's the catch...

I stored all the cables long ago and they were lost in a move. And I'm too paranoid to buy an aftermarket cable that doesn't match, as I've heard horror stories about that. I've not had any issues thus far, but don't want to be unneeded strain on any of my equipment.

Thoughts?

Lutfij

Titan
I have never liked SATA power adapters and it's due to the fact that most/all adapters are the cause of fires in a PC.

Why not reach out to Great Wall and see if you can pick up a cable kit for your PSU? In fact why not look at Ebay and see if you can pick up a cable kit? Can you find a pinout diagram for your PSU? Get a custom harness/cable kit made for your unit. This is an interesting find and this to help you with the cable but I would take this info with a grain of salt(maybe a tablespoon).

Last edited: