Question Thoughts on the AOC Q27G3XMN ?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I was considering an OLED display, but burn-in is a concern for me. I am looking at mini-LED since it is nearly as good as OLED without the downsides. I would love to hear thoughts on the monitor as it is the one I am strongly leaning towards.

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
You're still on the fence, eh? You'll be happy to know this is a killer monitor that really punches above its price. With its surprisingly excellent VA Mini LED panel, standard VESA mounting, and HDR 1000 certification, this is an outstanding monitor, even ignoring the value. It isn't as fast as an OLED, and it does have some problems with smearing when there are many dark objects on the screen, but it gets significantly brighter and still has fast response time and low input lag. Go ahead and pick this one up.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
You're still on the fence, eh? You'll be happy to know this is a killer monitor that really punches above its price. With its surprisingly excellent VA Mini LED panel, standard VESA mounting, and HDR 1000 certification, this is an outstanding monitor, even ignoring the value. It isn't as fast as an OLED, and it does have some problems with smearing when there are many dark objects on the screen, but it gets significantly brighter and still has fast response time and low input lag. Go ahead and pick this one up.
Thanks, although I think I’ll wait for other opinions (not saying your opinion isn’t valid) before I order it. Not to mention, availability is problem right now. Amazon is currently selling this monitor used for $404 used-like new.

Sep 27, 2023
Thanks, although I think I’ll wait for other opinions (not saying your opinion isn’t valid) before I order it. Not to mention, availability is problem right now. Amazon is currently selling this monitor used for $404 used-like new.
By all accounts it's a really excellent monitor for the price. The only other option that comes close is the KTC M27T20.

The main points are as follows:
AOC is very barebones for connectivity (just inputs), has less dimming zones (doesn't matter if the processing is good), has a higher refresh (180 vs 165), has a faster pixel response time, and has a 3 year warranty (big deal). The AOC is also cheaper, but does have supply issues. You can't update the AOC firmware, this is important in Europe as the /BK variant has broken firmware. The AOC is $280 on Amazon right now, as they came back in stock.

KTC has a lot of connectivity (90W USB-C, USB 3.0 Hub, KVM), has more dimming zones, a lower refresh rate (I think it's 144 with HDR), slower pixel response time (though supposedly just as good as the Samsung G7), minor ghosting, is more readily available, has a 1 year warranty (this sucks). The KTC also has better build quality overall, as well. Any issues with the monitor have been resolved through firmware updates, so VRR + LD + HDR work together now. The KTC typically runs $400-$500, but you can get it for $330 right now because Amazon has $120 coupons on it.

Both monitors use fast HVA panels. The KTC is basically the Cooler Master Tempest GP27Q, except it uses the HVA instead of an IPS. KTC are the OEM for Cooler Master's panels.

I think the best way to look at it is if you need the connectivity, the KTC is worth it for $50 more (but not when it's $400+). If you only care about performance, the AOC is probably the better bet. It has a faster panel and a better warranty, everything else is negligible. If you cared about competitive gaming, you wouldn't be buying a 165/180hz monitor anyway.

Reactions: pure_skill
Mar 27, 2024
By all accounts it's a really excellent monitor for the price. The only other option that comes close is the KTC M27T20.

The main points are as follows:
AOC is very barebones for connectivity (just inputs), has less dimming zones (doesn't matter if the processing is good), has a higher refresh (180 vs 165), has a faster pixel response time, and has a 3 year warranty (big deal). The AOC is also cheaper, but does have supply issues. You can't update the AOC firmware, this is important in Europe as the /BK variant has broken firmware. The AOC is $280 on Amazon right now, as they came back in stock.

KTC has a lot of connectivity (90W USB-C, USB 3.0 Hub, KVM), has more dimming zones, a lower refresh rate (I think it's 144 with HDR), slower pixel response time (though supposedly just as good as the Samsung G7), minor ghosting, is more readily available, has a 1 year warranty (this sucks). The KTC also has better build quality overall, as well. Any issues with the monitor have been resolved through firmware updates, so VRR + LD + HDR work together now. The KTC typically runs $400-$500, but you can get it for $330 right now because Amazon has $120 coupons on it.

Both monitors use fast HVA panels. The KTC is basically the Cooler Master Tempest GP27Q, except it uses the HVA instead of an IPS. KTC are the OEM for Cooler Master's panels.

I think the best way to look at it is if you need the connectivity, the KTC is worth it for $50 more (but not when it's $400+). If you only care about performance, the AOC is probably the better bet. It has a faster panel and a better warranty, everything else is negligible. If you cared about competitive gaming, you wouldn't be buying a 165/180hz monitor anyway.
does LD + HDR + VRR work on the AOC? I can't find anywhere if it works or not, also what do you mean by broken firmware, I live in Europe btw

Sep 27, 2023
does LD + HDR + VRR work on the AOC? I can't find anywhere if it works or not, also what do you mean by broken firmware, I live in Europe btw
If you live in Europe the AOC's firmware is defective and the colors are out of calibration, with sRGB and DCI-P3 modes not working. It should be able to do LD + HDR + VRR, at least I don't remember people complaining it couldn't unlike with the KTC. The KTC absolutely can.

Mar 27, 2024
If you live in Europe the AOC's firmware is defective and the colors are out of calibration, with sRGB and DCI-P3 modes not working. It should be able to do LD + HDR + VRR, at least I don't remember people complaining it couldn't unlike with the KTC. The KTC absolutely can.
is there any fix to this problem for the EU model?

Jonathan Harris

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
To my knowledge you can send it to the company? I've read that, but can't confirm if it's factual. There's no user upgrade, so that would be the only way I'd imagine.
Where can I find more on this. I'm not in the EU, but I just purchased this monitor and I feel like I have to change to many settings to get the color right. When not using HDR the monitor colors are just awful, completely washed out. Surprisingly though, HDR content is nice.

Sep 27, 2023
Where can I find more on this. I'm not in the EU, but I just purchased this monitor and I feel like I have to change to many settings to get the color right. When not using HDR the monitor colors are just awful, completely washed out. Surprisingly though, HDR content is nice.
If you're in the US the monitor should be behaving as intended. I cannot answer a question related to sending the monitor to the company as I don't own it, so I haven't gone through the process.

As for the colors, it sounds like you're leaving Windows HDR mode on at all times, which will wash out SDR colors. You should only turn it on when you're going to game or watch a movie with HDR. Generally you can't adjust colors when you enable HDR in monitors, either. You can toggle HDR on and off in Windows with WIN + ALT + B. If the AOC has an HDR mode, you'll probably want to disable it when doing non-HDR tasks as well.