[SOLVED] Thoughts on trying a mesh system instead of buying another router?

Solution
Mesh units work best with a wired interconnect between the units. If you were using powerline before, it doesn't sound like you have an ethernet cable infrastructure available. It is unknown if you would be happy with the performance of a wireless backhaul based mesh network.
Best long term investment is to pay a professional to install ethernet cabling. Then stationary devices like PCs, game consoles and TVs can have wired connectivity. Save WIFI for roaming devices.

kanewolf

Titan
Mesh units work best with a wired interconnect between the units. If you were using powerline before, it doesn't sound like you have an ethernet cable infrastructure available. It is unknown if you would be happy with the performance of a wireless backhaul based mesh network.
Best long term investment is to pay a professional to install ethernet cabling. Then stationary devices like PCs, game consoles and TVs can have wired connectivity. Save WIFI for roaming devices.

Solution

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
House wasn't wired for anything. I am wiring the office for my pc and a line for an upstairs tv. I'm mostly looking for coverage for phones and echo dots that most often stream music to the bedrooms. If I run ethernet to the middle of the house on all three floors, then would a mesh system make more sense?