Thoughts on Z370 motherboard

twantenho

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
While everyone is talking about the new 8th generation intel cpu, what do you think about the new z370 motherboard that comes with the new cpu. After I heard about it online, I must say I am truly disappointed with it. It looks like intel is robbing you again. I mean here are a few statements why intel’s new motherboard is a cash grab

- the z370 offers almost no new features over the z270, except for competibility with coffee lake and beter overclocking (which wouldn’t be the case for the i 8700)

- you need to get a whole new z370 motherboard if you want the new cpu (which I kind of understand, because the new cpu takes more power from the motherboard) but still, it will cost you a lot of money.

- the price of the z370 is for what I have heard, ridicously overpriced. With MSI, gigabyte and Asus new z370 motherboards you can except a decent motherboard for around 200 €. While I am not entirely sure about this, so feedbeck it if this isn’t right.

So, as conclusion a whole new cpu for intel’s 8th generation i 8700k will cost around: cooling (80 €) + cpu (350) + motherboard (200 €) = 630 €

I think you might want to go for ryzen because they will release new motherboards in 2020 and there motherboards are way less expensive. But what are your thoughts about this?

Solution
intel usually had better IPC speed (which for now, mostly what matters on games, as most games doesn't utilize more than 4 core)

while Ryzen cost less (both the CPU and the mobo, but they yield more core/thread count)

i guess it's like this: u get what u pay

u want the highest fps possible? need the fastest IPC possible? go intel
u need those extra core/thread, or you need something with a bang in the buck? go Ryzen
intel usually had better IPC speed (which for now, mostly what matters on games, as most games doesn't utilize more than 4 core)

while Ryzen cost less (both the CPU and the mobo, but they yield more core/thread count)

i guess it's like this: u get what u pay

u want the highest fps possible? need the fastest IPC possible? go intel
u need those extra core/thread, or you need something with a bang in the buck? go Ryzen

Solution

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a great solution for people who want to upgrade from Z97/Z87. And when I'm reviewing these boards, I'm not even thinking of them as an upgrade for the Z270, but as a replacement that people who already wanted to upgrade their older system should probably choose instead of Z270.

I don't even think there were any changes from Z170 other than some production refinements. We were hearing about four hidden lanes before Z170 launched, and viola they suddenly appeared when Z270 launched.