Threadripper 1950x running fast out of box

scorde

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Hi there

Finished my new threadripper 1950x build yesterday. I have installed the new bios and chipset and associated drivers and ryzen master etc. I have noticed that the CPU idles at 3.7-4.0ghz with a voltage of 1.4-1.4.8 ish. When benchmarking on cinebench the voltage drops to a more respectable 1.12/1.2 volts and cores go back to 3.4ghz. I'm getting 2930 on cinebench which seems to be comparable to other chips.

Now this doesn't look right to me. The voltage seems dangerously high. From looking at the reviews I would expect it to idle at 3.4 and then boost as necessary (I don't really want to overclock at the moment). Ryzen master software shows the cpu loading up on 'current' profile which is the 4ghz one and I have to manually switch to creator/game mode.

I'm sure this is a bios setting potentially and everything in the bios is set to auto but i'm not experienced enough with changing settings in the bios. Can anyone give me some support?

The motherboard is a rog strix x399 e-gaming and i'm also rocking 32gb trident z (currently running at 2133 but plan to try and get to 3200) and a rog strix 1080ti.

Thanks

Steve

Solution

It might be called something else for AMD systems, I know for sure it's called 'Multicore Enhancement' for Intel CPUs. Probably best to consult your motherboard's manual.
Asus boards ship with a feature called 'Multicore Enhancement' which basically runs all cores at the maximum turbo value. Asus has recently started shipping with this feature on by default. If you're having issues with high voltage or high temps, turn MCE off in your BIOS.

scorde

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

It might be called something else for AMD systems, I know for sure it's called 'Multicore Enhancement' for Intel CPUs. Probably best to consult your motherboard's manual.

Solution

scorde

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Just to say thanks so much for this. Found the two settings in my UEFI so have a stable clock of 3.4ghz at 1.125 volts and also a better and more stable score in cinebench. RAM is now running at 3200mhz stable.

I can also easily overclock now using ryzen master at 3.9 ghz at 1.35 volts running stable. Really appreciate your help.