Threadripper 2950x build

Sep 1, 2018
Hello!

I need a little bit of help building a new threadripper rig.
This will be a workstation that will process very heavy loads for days at a time, but I would also like to use it as a gaming pc on occasion.
My aim is to have maximum performance with high stability. Wouldn't like to have it processing something for a few days, just for it to crash and have to start over.
That being said, please help me pick the right parts!
Note: This workstation is not for graphics rendering, it's for very large statistical calculations and machine learning algorithms.

So far:
Case: Fractal Design r6
CPU: Threadripper 2950x
MB: ASRock X399 Taichi
RAM: 64GB (16x4) G.Skill Ripjaws 3000Mhz 14-14-14-34 (these have the exact same specs as the CAS14 TridentZ)
Storage: 500gb ssd for os and software
4 x 2tb hdd for data

What ssd and hdd brands/models offer the best performance?

Graphics cards: Debating between GTX 1080ti and RTX 2080ti, any insight on this?

Cooling: Need help with a good water cooling solution, from what I've read, the usual water coolers from Corsair don't even cover the whole surface of the threadripper, is this gonna be a problem?

Power supply: I have no idea what's good in this area, any suggestions?

Money isn't a problem, but I prefer better value per dollar.
I would appreciate it if you explained why you suggest a specific component so that I can read up on it and be more self-sufficient.

Thanks for your help!

Solution
You can't preorder the 2080ti as far as I know from anywhere yet. That's why I said if you can't quite wait for it, go for 2080 since you can preorder that now, or just go with the 1080ti if you need it ASAP

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
I wouldn't worry about getting speeds over 3000Mhz, but for the RAM I'd personally go with G.Skill TridentZ or Corsair Vengance.

For storage, I'd recommend 2TB HDD drives and a 250GB SSD for your OS. You really don't want to be using an SSD for doing a lot of processing of image or graphic renderings. SSD's don't do well with massive amounts of writes and rewrites, and are also a lot more difficult to deal with in terms of being able to repair issues since you can't create restore points like you can on an HDD.

For a GPU, that entirely depends on which type of workloads you will be doing. without really having that information from you, you can't exactly go wrong with something like a 1080ti.

Sep 1, 2018

Thanks for the reply, I won't be processing image or graphic renderings, the type of loads will be machine learning models training, or very large scale statistic computations, would this still be an issue with a SSD?

Thanks again.

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
You should be alright as long as you aren't doing a lot of writing then rewriting with massive files to that drive. For example storing and editing massive amounts of 4K footage over and over again can compromise the drive. You can look up thoroughly detailed torture tests where people do read write tests and end up with something like 700TB written to the drive before it bricks.

Sep 1, 2018

Thanks again for your help. I have updated the thread, would you be able to recommend a water cooling solution for this build? Thanks!

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
Cooler : https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Exclusive-Threadripper-Technology-ELC-LTTR360-TBP/dp/B074ZLQZG2

GPU : I'd go with the 2080ti, it would stay relevant for longer and if you're willing to just throw money at it, why not? Otherwise go for the 2080 or the 1080ti if you need this quickly.

PSU : Any quality built 1,000W PSU should be more than enough

For SSD I prefer Samsung brand. I'd rather pay a bit extra just to have their reliability.

For HDD I'd stick with Western Digital Black drives.

Sep 1, 2018

Thanks again for all your help!
The build is coming together thanks to you.
I've been trying to pre-order the 2080ti but it doesn't seem to be available. Would you happen to know if this means its sold out or just not available for pre-order yet?

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
You can't preorder the 2080ti as far as I know from anywhere yet. That's why I said if you can't quite wait for it, go for 2080 since you can preorder that now, or just go with the 1080ti if you need it ASAP

Solution