Threadripper Competition Emerges As Intel Lets Core i9-7920X Details Slip

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I have seen reports of Mesh OCing that lowers latency at the cost of heat. From 2400 mhz to 3000 mhz and Clock to 4.5 Ghz on a 7800X required to get good gaming performance vs 7700K as a ref, but the price is still too dear IMHO.

Right now it looks bad for Intel: they need to announce CPU models that don't exist as a concept (their 18-core CPU looks so much like a market intern's proposal - take the competition max core count and add a couple - it's not even funny) to not look ridiculous in front of the underdog, and since their process includes bad thermal paste instead of solder (like AMD has been using for years, and thus mastered a long time ago), they just. Don't. Scale.

Add to that the fact that they can't be seen lowering their prices too much (premium products require premium price, otherwise your shareholders will take their money elsewhere), you now have Intel caught with its pants down across the whole CPU range, higher scrutiny due to proven business malpractices, and a product which is in many ways inferior to the competition's (thermal envelope, core count) with few good points (IPC, max clock, AES performance, optimized software ecosystem) that looks like it'll dwindle in the next 6-12 months (Zen+ will probably improve both max clock and AES performance, I guess we can also expect +5% IPC, and more and more software comes out taking Ryzen into account, if LLVM and GCC compiler improvements are any proof).

And this time, unlike in the K7/K8 days, motherboard makers aren't afraid of building and selling AMD hardware nor are OEMs afraid of basing designs around it (what condemned AMD to the obscurity of the DIY crowd and bad hack jobs for laptops).

bugnguts

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Intel's core architecture IPC improved about 30-45% over the last 11 years. They also saw a similar speed increase, ~35%. Though I believe AMD focused heavily on improving IPC so they may not be able to improve it by 40%, but this is still their "Conroe" as far as the Zen architecture goes. Intel's IPC and frequency increases on the core architecture are reaching limits, and it seems on higher core counts they are really hitting the limits.
It will be interesting to see if AMD can improve Zen's IPC by a similar margin and the frequency reaches upper 4.xxGhz. Also, what will Intel's response be? Intel's server has been the company's bread and creamy, high margin, butter for over a decade. It appears AMD Zen is poised to start enjoying some of that warm bread.

hahmed330

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
You would literally require a freezer (phase change cooling) to cool this processor when overclocked (otherwise it makes no sense) especially since Intel always use chap TIM even in such expensive processors.

David_446

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
Oh goodie! Another processor we can't buy. I love reading announcements. Intel leads the industry in announcing CPUs. I am especially excited about the first batch of Ryzen killer CPUs that were released. AMD almost pulled a fast one with that pesky Ryzen.
Oh I have a question: When can we actually PURCHASE one of the CPUs that were announced and released BUT not available.
I'm sorry, I didn't see the two CPUs nobody wants to buy are plentiful!!!
But I am overjoyed to know that Intel is not taking AMDs threat lying down.
WHAT A FIASCO!!!

JakeWearingKhakis

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
The ONLY issue Threadripper/Epyc has is the fact that the L3 Cache is separated by the infinity fabric. If one die has to access something in the cache located on another die the latency is higher than intel's.

I don't think that is big enough of a reason to call AMD's chips "glued together". That was ignorant as hell coming from Intel. I look forward to seeing REAL WORLD benchmarks from AMD vs Intel!

InvalidError

Titan

IPC improved by ~50% from Core2 to Core i-series seven years ago mainly thanks to the memory controller integration cutting memory access latency in half, then we've had ~40% more IPC improvement since then.

g-unit1111

Titan

You are aware that the 1950X is going to retail for $999 and the 1920X is going to retail for $799, right? That would put Threadripper in i9 territory.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-ryzen-threadripper-specs

Plus we haven't even seen the cost of X399 boards yet, and I'm guessing those aren't going to be cheap either.

Status
Not open for further replies.