Three AMD AM1 Motherboards For The Kabini APU, Reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackmagnum

Honorable
May 14, 2012
It uses the 'Jaguar' core; the same core technology as the mighty Playstation 4. So, I believe it can handle more than simple flash games!

zetonfire

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I own this processor paired with a gt 630 from nvidia, 4 gb of ram, hdd 1tb 7200 Rpm and what can i say, it does the job well, it runs 1080p movies with no problem. I play lol with high settings at @ 30-60 fps. At WoW it kinda struggles on 25 man raids but it still playable 20+fps, to mention that settings are nealy high. (both on 1080p). Nfs mostwanted 2012, battlefield 3, grid 2 on 720p 30fps most of the time, some fps drop there and there but still ok.I think if you put a better videocard ( i had the 630 @ house standing for nothing) it could do much better in certain games that are not processor hungry.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
I don't understand why THW doesn't add in games like League of Legends or DOTA2 when testing this type of hardware. I'd like to believe that the person that buys a system like this and DOES NOT buy a discreet GPU is NOT going to be playing games like Far Cry anything. LOL and DOTA2 are free to play, and therefore it is much more likely that they may, at one or other point in time, be tested on this type of system. Make the Games review relevant to the hardware if there is not a discreet GPU, pretty please?

I recently built a wireless router using an Athlon 5150 in a Biostar AM1ML. I'm surprised that $30 board wasn't in the comparison as it has two pretty significant advantages that none of these boards have. It's a micro-DTX board which gives it an extra PCIe slot compared to the mini-ITX units but it still fits in most of the "mini-ITX" cube cases unlike the Gigabyte unit tested here. That second PCIe slot was just what the doctor ordered as I needed to add both a wired Ethernet card and a wireless NIC for that build and it all fit perfectly in a little Silverstone Sugo.

Puiucs

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
again i see reviews and benchmarks for Kabini and none answer the right questions.
Can it play 1080p/4k videos? (30 or 60fps) youtube or downloaded
Can it play games that are meant to work on low end PCs?
What is the HTML5 performance?
What is the average total cost of the system?
How can you further improve the system value, depending on the components you choose to buy for it?

My Temash with 2 CUs at 3-400MHz is more than capable of playing RB6: Vegas2 and FEAR at great frame rates. A Kabini with higher clocks and greater memory through-put will play older DX games just dandy.

It's just a big fail when testers throw BF4 at a 15w APU and exclaim, "It can't play!"

It's quite dumb, too.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Tom's should avoid talking about this subject, because every article completely misses the point, and shows a complete lack of understanding of the market.

These sites often make the same mistake, I think intentionally in some cases (not in Tom's, I think it's just not understanding), of taking products out of their context market. They might put a line up here or there reminding people of the market, but then test it in ways it was never intended to be used. The overall effect is misleading and inappropriate, but under the guise of being accurate since somewhere on some page they mention it's a lower end unit.

Probably they don't know how to test appropriately. In any case, there aren't the right benchmarks for this type of unit, and so the confused author complains about the CPU on the last page with one last misplaced remark.

But, for the more informed people, this is a very effective and efficient architecture. It performs as much work per clock cycle as their larger cores, despite being less than 1/3 the size. It's the same size as Bay Trail, despite being on 28nm as compared to 22nm, but has roughly 20% higher IPC, as well as much greater GPU performance. It's a great design.

Tom's just doesn't know better. They should. They don't. In their blundering and dull-witted way, they think it should be used for gaming, because everyone wanting a gaming processor is going to want one. Kids will be kids.

Minimally, put a discrete GPU in each, something cheap, if you want to test with games, although it's very difficult to see people buying this platform for gaming in any context. PS4 has that covered with a derivation of this successful architecture.

To complete the lack of understanding of this baffled author, we have the uninformed remark about the processor costing twice as much as the motherboard. Sadly, this author's lack of understanding precludes him from realizing this is the point. More was put on the APU so it wouldn't have to be put on the motherboard.

Just a bad article, with no understanding of the segment or product.

Also, these motherboards and products are more geared for countries that have less disposable income. You can get a 5150 and MB for less than $90, or a 5350 and MB for around $100, and both offer good enough performance to make these attractive products for people needing a computer, but with a limited budget. And no, that market doesn't buy these things for games.

In any case, the most interesting motherboard for the U.S. market was left out ASRock AM1H-ITX. If you want DisplayPort, it's the only game in town, as well.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are no overclocking options, check the BIOS descriptions.

As for POV, I come at this from the viewpoint of someone who's gamed on Haswell's integrated GPU. I'm just looking for entry-level performance. As in, barely useful 3D. I'm not finding it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I thought it was supposed to be a low-energy multimedia platform with entry-level gaming capability.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
For power-miser consumers, meaning it doesn't have much power to do anything!!! LOL, I kid, I kid.

The same jaguar core that is in the mighty PS4, that must be why the PS4 is sub par, lol...

jdwii

Splendid
I have to admit Crashman you let me down this time. This product is not meant for gaming besides simple flash games. The only thing you should have tested was video playback and read and write times on a sata drive with tests done on the Ethernet speeds and of course noise and temperature and power consumption. Possibly vmware. Heck should have thrown in some linux benches too with XBMC.

lp231

Splendid
By making it affordable, AMD has to eliminate 2 mounting holes for socket AM1, and how much did they save by doing this? It would be better if it uses 4 mounting holes for the CPU cooler, so it's secure and not feel wobbly.

I has 2 netbooks, one was a Intel Atom @ 1.60GHz, its a single core with HT, and has Nvidia ION. The other is a AMD E2-2000 APU runnning at 1.75GHz dual core with AMD Radeon HD7340 graphics.
When it comes to running flash, both of these processors are way too weak to handle it.
GPU acceleration was suppose to help with flash, but somehow they don't always work or probably bad flash coding? When it does the, Intel does a better job, maybe because the Nvidia ION is a separate unit, not like AMD graphics that's built into the APU, so when even though the GPU is handling the load, the AMD APU will always running at very high CPU resources?
Still if you want to run flash, get a better CPU. Even a Intel Celeron can do a better job at handling flash than both of these weak ones.

gallovfc

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
FlexATX board ? Battlefield 4 ? 3DMark's Fire Strike ?
Are you guys kidding me ?
How about a PROFESSIONAL focused test ?
How about a comparisson against an Intel Celeron ?
How about World of Warcraft, Dota and LoL ?
The platform matters much more than 3 virtualy EQUAL boards !
The difference resides on the USB ports and the little details, and THAT matters.
No one would buy an AM1 system for it's capability to play Battlefield 4 !

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

We do have a CPU review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-5350-am1-platform-review,3801.html

gallovfc

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
And it should fit any Mini ITX board...
How abot 3DMark's Cloud Gate ?
How about Cinebench R15 ?

How about an HTPC roundup where different platforms come into play ?
A Core i3 would dictate the maximum budget, and then a Celeron, a Pentium, an AM1 Kabini and a FM2+ Kaveri.
No VGAs allowed, system builders going crazy with SSDs, cases, optical drives.
But using the fastest RAM each platform supports.
How about that ?

It would go almost like a SBM, but with HTPCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.