Three Factory-Overclocked, High-End Graphics Cards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
the games favor Nvidia because its easier to program for Geforce cards

http://nostasolutions.com/2008/11/03/stream-processing-units-implementation-nvidia-vs-amdati/

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]tony singh[/nom]Why far cry 2 , crysis & dirt 2 chosen again & again knowing that nvidia performs better in these?? To show 480 much master than than 5870 ? Want an answer.[/citation]

You're wrong.

The new ATI cards tend to perform better in Dirt2 and Crysis than their similarly-priced Nvidia counterparts, actually.

The 480 isn't usually priced similarly to the 5870 cards, however in this case the factory overclocked 5870's have a huge price premium and Zotac's 480 AMP! does not, putting them into the same price league.

Your problem is with the high price premium on factory-overclocked Radeon HD 5870 cards. It doesn't make sense to blame us for that.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]coolvoodoo[/nom]but it seems that some people want any benchmarks where the Nvidia card is faster to be removed.[/citation]

I agree, I don't hear anyone crying for AvP to be removed and that game blows. I actually enjoyed FC2 and still play Dirt2 quite often. That being said, I am a 5870 owner but wish I had known about 460's in SLI ;)

[citation][nom]blink180heights[/nom]3 pci slots for the 480 amp wtf!!! that's all the slots i have, which means i would have to get rid of my SLI cards and just use one 480[/citation]

Not for me :p 780i user.....
Other rig has a 790x RD 600 that I did the hack on.

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
What's the deal with using old Nvidia drivers? The 256 driver series has been around since the end of May. Hasn't there been 15-20% performance increases since the release driver? Or is that limited to SLI setups?

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]You're wrong.The new ATI cards tend to perform better in Dirt2 and Crysis than their similarly-priced Nvidia counterparts, actually.The 480 isn't usually priced similarly to the 5870 cards, however in this case the factory overclocked 5870's have a huge price premium and Zotac's 480 AMP! does not, putting them into the same price league.Your problem is with the high price premium on factory-overclocked Radeon HD 5870 cards. It doesn't make sense to blame us for that.[/citation]

thats what i thought too.

people are trying to defend ATI when they dont need to be defended. ATI did just fine in this benchmark. Fanboys are such assholes sometimes.

keep doing what you're doing toms.

tmax

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
I have the Gigabyte GV-R587SO-1GD Super Clocked. I purchased it not long after it was released. I am very happy with the card and overall pleased with how it performed in this review. Good stuff Toms!

jjpmann

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
"Strangely, the iCooler V on the HIS card doesn't seem to be performing any better than the stock cooling solution, and actually delivers a the opposite effect, especially at idle."
If the clocks don't lower at idle wouldn't you expect the temps to be higher and not to be blamed on the cooling.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]blevsta[/nom]What's the deal with using old Nvidia drivers? The 256 driver series has been around since the end of May. Hasn't there been 15-20% performance increases since the release driver? Or is that limited to SLI setups?[/citation]

We used the newest WHQL drivers available when testing. The article was written a few weeks ago, it has been in the pipeline for a while due to some vacation and scheduling delays.

notty22

Distinguished
[citation][nom]blevsta[/nom]What's the deal with using old Nvidia drivers? The 256 driver series has been around since the end of May. Hasn't there been 15-20% performance increases since the release driver? Or is that limited to SLI setups?[/citation]
I agree. Isn't internet journalism supposed to be more cutting edge than this ? I'm sorry, two big driver releases sort of make this article obsolete.

I think the 480 AMP! edition made a mistake going with that Zalman cooler. Nobody really wants to buy a 3 slot card. Seriously! I just spent a long time searching out aftermarket cooling for my two reference 5850s and literally there was 2 available (air cooling) options. Scythe Setsugen, which I bought, or Zalman VF1000/GV1000. Every other aftermarket cooling solution took up 3 to even 4 slots! If Gigabyte would sell that 5870 cooler on it's own, wow. I'm sure it would sell like hotcakes.

As for overclocking results, very interesting. I would have expected a lot better FPS. I can't remember the exact details but my 5850s gained a good deal more than these cards, relatively.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]juliom[/nom]Far Cry 2 is so Nvidia biased, why the hell do you use it to compare the cards? If that test disappeared the huge advantage in the conclusion graphic would get much smaller.[/citation]

Well Techreport is using Borderlands which is much worse. I think Far Cry is big enough game to be justifiedly included.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]notty22[/nom]I agree. Isn't internet journalism supposed to be more cutting edge than this ? I'm sorry, two big driver releases sort of make this article obsolete.[/citation]

One major WHQL-certified driver release.

I guess we could erase all of our previous articles every time a new driver is released, but considering the minuscule performance differences (usually negligible, actually, despite the claims made in driver release notes) I think we're probably OK to keep this article live.

You're probably being a little there sensationalist about this, sport. :)

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]jjpmann[/nom]"Strangely, the iCooler V on the HIS card doesn't seem to be performing any better than the stock cooling solution, and actually delivers a the opposite effect, especially at idle." If the clocks don't lower at idle wouldn't you expect the temps to be higher and not to be blamed on the cooling.[/citation]

Well, 157 or 400 MHz vs. full speed 900+ MHz... I'd still expect the HIS to have a lower temp if the cooler was actually notably superior. The gigabyte cooler manages to halve the temp at the same 157 MHz clock.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]halls[/nom]Just a heads up: on the second page, you mention that the fan keeps the card at under 70 degrees Fahrenheit on full load. I don't believe you![/citation]

you're wise not to believe it. The draft I handed in only said degrees and one of my editors entered Fahrenheit. Fixed to Celsius!

T3kl0rD

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
The upcoming gen of GPU's will finally master Crysis with constant 60 FPS @ 1920 x 1200 rez. The high end ones anyways.

You don't get the eleventy million percent performance increase? You must be installing them wrong! *runs away*

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Yeah I guess Ocing is now the norm in new motherboard and gpu vendors... At least now more ppl can be on a level playing field whereas in the past you had to truly oc using tweaked voltages, 3rd party software and watercooling, or improvised casing, now we get gpus, mboards, and software stright out of the box, not to mention easy ocing...

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Great article.Its main benefit to me was to confirm that overclocked cards aren't worth the extra money.There's one point that I found strange. As I understand it,you didn't find a reference 5870 at the time of writing but found only the reference heatsink??????? how strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.