News Three New Games Come Out Tomorrow With Nvidia Ray Tracing, DLSS and Reflex

D1v1n3D

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
Vangaurd is a PR stunt Activision has lost its way got way to greedy and it is showing far to obvious they don't care about their client player base just the money. Fact is if you dont care and listen to your client player list you wont have one forever they will leave for another company willing to appease. Look at all the great corporations that have collapse with this same ideology if you don't listen and adapt to the times you will die off like toysrus jc penny Kmart and many others that are gone gone, for either not listening and adapting or just not adapting to the times.

gman68

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
I really wonder how sales figures for new games will be since so few people can get their hands on the hardware required to play them.

Reactions: PapaCrazy
Vangaurd is a PR stunt Activision has lost its way got way to greedy and it is showing far to obvious they don't care about their client player base just the money. Fact is if you dont care and listen to your client player list you wont have one forever they will leave for another company willing to appease. Look at all the great corporations that have collapse with this same ideology if you don't listen and adapt to the times you will die off like toysrus jc penny Kmart and many others that are gone gone, for either not listening and adapting or just not adapting to the times.
And yet I still find them amount the most enjoyable FPS. Seems they have listened, who wants Ray Tracing in an FPS game?

Jim90

Distinguished
While it's always nice to push tech, I do wonder just what percentage of a scene/game qualifies for that "Ray Tracing" sticker on the label - a shiny puddle or two? The fewer shiny puddles, the higher fps?

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
While it's always nice to push tech, I do wonder just what percentage of a scene/game qualifies for that "Ray Tracing" sticker on the label - a shiny puddle or two? The fewer shiny puddles, the higher fps?
Well, I'm pretty SURE games with a "Ray Tracing" sticker on the label will qualify for is a higher price tag for the damn game, instead of $59.99 it could be $79.99, that's why I NEVER buy games day 1, I'll wait for it to drop to $20 maybe $30 before I buy any game.

Well, I'm pretty SURE games with a "Ray Tracing" sticker on the label will qualify for is a higher price tag for the damn game, instead of $59.99 it could be $79.99, that's why I NEVER buy games day 1, I'll wait for it to drop to $20 maybe $30 before I buy any game.
Amazingly, you can look at the prices of games and see that those with ray tracing... don't cost any more than non-RT games. Battlefield 2042, even though it implements arguably the least needed RT effect (RTAO), starts at $59.99:

The same can be said for any number of other games with RT. Bright Memory Infinite was the work primarily of a single person, and costs $39.99 I think? I'll find out in a few hours I suppose.
And yet I still find them amount the most enjoyable FPS. Seems they have listened, who wants Ray Tracing in an FPS game?
Yeah, this is very true. RT in an heavy action game is a waste. Battlefield, Call of Duty, Fortnite, etc. don't need RT. People would rather turn down graphics fidelity for higher fps. But in a single-player experience, RT can be a nice extra. Only a few games have really used it in a way that makes a noticeable difference, though. Control, Cyberpunk 2077, Metro Exodus Enhanced, and Bright Memory Infinite looks like it will have a lot of cool RT effects. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Call of Duty, Battlefield V/2042, Metro Exodus (original), and most other games with RT it hardly makes a difference in looks.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I really wonder how sales figures for new games will be since so few people can get their hands on the hardware required to play them.

Seriously! I'm still on a GTX1080 (and feel lucky to even have one of those) but need to pick titles carefully. The last thing I purchased was the F/18 for DCS, which is relatively low-demand. Anything really new, like MSFS or Cyberpunk are off the table for me. I don't see how the shortage couldn't be affecting sales. They sure have affected mine.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

The reason why its used sparingly in games today is due to performance hit. 100% of the scenes. Shadow acan be done using ray tracing, not just reflections.

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
Wait a second...where can I even purchase the Grand Theft Auto Definition Edition for PC? Rockstar doesn't even have a link up to purchase/preorder!

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Until nvidia Lovelace and RDNA3, there are no good GPUs for RT.

Not even 3090, unless you play at 1080p with it.

That's why most games with RT and all GPUs that "support" it are a joke now.

When you see the change from "supports RT" => "crushes RT", then it's time for RT.

Reactions: BeedooX and Jim90
Apr 1, 2020
I wouldn't even say Lovelace is going to be "good" for RT if the rumors are true and it's little more than a doubling of shaders and doubling of power consumption. It's still years before we see 4k60 Ray Tracing without fractional image quality gimmicks (DLSS, XeSS, FSR), but maybe by then cryptocurrency mining will be banned by the EU and USA so we might be able to actually get a GPU A. at all and B. at a reasonable price.

antonis mark

Prominent
Jan 21, 2021
who even cares about DLSS AND RAY TRACING if even no one owns it or NOONE CAN AFFORD IT! ray tracing and dlss minimum cost around 500 euros/dollars most new gen ray-tracing graphics cards including the previous generation are overpriced to double the original price so it makes no sense to get any new graphics card

I wouldn't even say Lovelace is going to be "good" for RT if the rumors are true and it's little more than a doubling of shaders and doubling of power consumption. It's still years before we see 4k60 Ray Tracing without fractional image quality gimmicks (DLSS, XeSS, FSR), but maybe by then cryptocurrency mining will be banned by the EU and USA so we might be able to actually get a GPU A. at all and B. at a reasonable price.
These rumors are, frankly, absurd. There's no way Nvidia is going to double power for Lovelace. 350W GPUs are already too much IMO. 600W? That's more than even the special datacenter GPUs like the MI250X, which have a huge vertical heatsink and high RPM server fans keeping them cool. Plus, Lovelace is supposed to switch to TSMC N5, which should dramatically drop power use and increase density. It's basically (more than?) double the density of Samsung Foundry 8N, 80% more than TSMC N7. Also much better power characteristics. It's effectively a two node jump, because SF 8N is really just enhanced 10nm, so 7nm is one node and 5nm is a second.

I expect Lovelace won't have TDP of more than 350W for the consumer chips, and it might even go back to 250W, depending on how it stacks up against RDNA3.

who even cares about DLSS AND RAY TRACING if even no one owns it or NOONE CAN AFFORD IT! ray tracing and dlss minimum cost around 500 euros/dollars most new gen ray-tracing graphics cards including the previous generation are overpriced to double the original price so it makes no sense to get any new graphics card

I was lucky enough to get my RTX 2070 way before all this mess happend (global pandemic, shortages + cryptocurrency+makers ambition/greediness), and since that day I can say that I couldn't care less about RT effects.
Don't get me wrong its nice to see what they look like with it, but I can totally play without them, and yes performance usually does sucks without DLSS On too.

Seriously! I'm still on a GTX1080 (and feel lucky to even have one of those) but need to pick titles carefully. The last thing I purchased was the F/18 for DCS, which is relatively low-demand. Anything really new, like MSFS or Cyberpunk are off the table for me. I don't see how the shortage couldn't be affecting sales. They sure have affected mine.

Just to give you a bit of hope, MSFS 2020 runs pretty decent on a GTX1080 on fairly high settings, as long as you keep your framerate expectations in check. As with any flight sim it really wants to chew up your CPU instead. At a 30 fps cap set within NCP @1440p I'm able to set high/ultra settings with lots of headroom. If your at all curious you can get the base sim through GamePass, if it's not to your satisfaction performance wise just cancel.

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Amazingly, you can look at the prices of games and see that those with ray tracing... don't cost any more than non-RT games. Battlefield 2042, even though it implements arguably the least needed RT effect (RTAO), starts at $59.99:

The same can be said for any number of other games with RT. Bright Memory Infinite was the work primarily of a single person, and costs $39.99 I think? I'll find out in a few hours I suppose.

Yeah, this is very true. RT in an heavy action game is a waste. Battlefield, Call of Duty, Fortnite, etc. don't need RT. People would rather turn down graphics fidelity for higher fps. But in a single-player experience, RT can be a nice extra. Only a few games have really used it in a way that makes a noticeable difference, though. Control, Cyberpunk 2077, Metro Exodus Enhanced, and Bright Memory Infinite looks like it will have a lot of cool RT effects. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Call of Duty, Battlefield V/2042, Metro Exodus (original), and most other games with RT it hardly makes a difference in looks.
Maybe Not yet, but it will happen, Greed only grows,and so will the prices.

Maybe Not yet, but it will happen, Greed only grows,and so will the prices.
Greed is an easy cop-out excuse that ignores:
  • Inflation ($60 USD today is equivalent to about $42 in 2005, when then current-gen games last got their price bump)
  • The increasing complexity of software
  • The increasing complexity of hardware (especially when you consider that the price per transistor stopped falling at around 16nm)
May as well say who cares about any sort of new-ish technology when nobody can afford it.

I certainly don't think a Tesla car is affordable, but I'm not going to discount the benefits of electric vehicles in general.

lazyabum

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
Greed is an easy cop-out excuse that ignores:
  • Inflation ($60 USD today is equivalent to about $42 in 2005, when then current-gen games last got their price bump)
  • The increasing complexity of software
  • The increasing complexity of hardware (especially when you consider that the price per transistor stopped falling at around 16nm)
May as well say who cares about any sort of new-ish technology when nobody can afford it.

I certainly don't think a Tesla car is affordable, but I'm not going to discount the benefits of electric vehicles in general.
Actually you're both right. GPU capabilities such Ray Tracing DLSS along with faster and newer techniques should continue. However, Ray Tracing began with CGI Films using tons of RAM CPUs and now GPUs on servers. Realtime CGI is still years away from achievement if not decades.

Multi GPUs are key and should not have been abandoned. Diminishing returns can be worked out with different methods but the resistance to change the current gaming platform will be much more costly than trying and keep trying different things. That's how success is achieved.