[SOLVED] Three SATA cables melted from Samsung SSD 860 Evo ?

Oct 17, 2021
Hi, everyone.

I looked around and still couldn't find the solution to this. So my problem was quite identical with this old thread:
My SSD just burned through 2 SATA cables | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

TLDR:
  1. I built a new PC outside of the case, I can get into BIOS (w/o any storage) just to check some stuff.
  2. Turned off the PC, connected SSD (old ones used in my old PC)
  3. Turned on the PC, SATA cable connected to my SSD burnt out (only the cable was damaged). Turned off the PC immediately.
  4. BIOS stated all component seems fine. Tried 2 other cables same result.
  5. Tried old WD HDD with SATA, PC won't turned on. Just flashed all LED with noticeable 'click' sound then off.
  6. Unplugged HDD > thank God BIOS stated everything still okay.
Anyone might have experienced this issue? Please help me out if you have any insight on the issue.
  • I tried paperclipping the PSU and it worked just fine. I used the PSU until last night with my old PC and worked well.
  • Mobo has no visible faulty nor has any burnt mark anywhere.
  • Everything was fine except when the SSD I tried to connect using SATA cable.
  • Should I buy M.2 NVME storage and try it out? I'd like to save as much money as possible, not knowing what would be the result with the M.2 storage.
  • Should I buy new PSU? In case its something wrong the the voltage or something.
  • Is my Samsung SSD can still be used? All the gold pins looked fine, I haven't tried reinstalling it back to my old PC.
Thank you everyone, really appreciate any respond, I need the discussion.

My component:
CPU Ryzen 5 5600X
Mobo MSI B550m Pro
PSU Corsair CS750M (this one from my old PC, its 7,5 years old now)
Memory Klevv 2x8gb 3200mhz
GPU Zotac 1660Super

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021
Solved!

Problem was caused by the Power SATA Cable, which is not the original/manufactured by the PSU. But since I got a new cable, it solved the problem! My old HDD is showing up on BIOS, unfortunately for me the SSD is definitely wrekt, it didn't show on the BIOS. Read in some thread that its no hope for the SSD and the cost to recover the data was very high. Learned my lessons. Thanks for the respond guys!

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost