Three Wii U SKUs Start Console at $249.99 on Nov. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]The only reason I'd buy Wii U would be if it have had super graphics card, beyond GTX 690... I know it's impossible, but still...[/citation]

yeah a $250 console is going to have a $1000 gpu inside it. get real.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The Wii U has slightly better graphics than the PS3. The Wii has somewhat better graphics over the much older Game Cube.

So at $250 with a single wireless-tablet remote, its not a bad deal... I assume it doesn't include a HD or DVD playback (which is stupid).

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I just don't get this. At all.

The expensive/fragile looking controller suggests the target is on non-children, non-group play. Yet the controller also looks klunky and the machine specs weak, so the target is not on gamer gamers either. So who the heck are they targeting this at? Single, lonely, poor japanese males?

Maybe they'll demo something amazing on it soon and change my mind, but right now I'm expecting this to be one massive flop.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I'm not optimistic about the Wii U to be honest. It's spec'd to compete with the 360 and PS3 but is being released on the (theoretical) eve of the 360 and PS3's successors' release. They're fighting the tail end of a battle they already lost.

I don't understand Nintendo at all though so who am I to talk. I don't virtually any of their games (except when I was young enough) and their business strategy doesn't make sense to me.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I don't see why people are dishing out the hate so much, the rumoured specs seem reasonably good for a console, certainly a decent bump over the current consoles. If they come in around the price hinted then they have a decent chance. I expect the usual rush followed by a lull whilst people hang around for Sony/Microsoft, the targeted price might give them something to think about.

I very much doubt that either Sony or Microsoft will be releasing 12 core Ivybridge based systems with twin 680's or 79xx series gpus for $300, I suspect people may be a little disappointed.

Realistically the expectations will be for a reasonable 720/1080 gaming experience with DX10/11 level graphics. Decent loading times would be a bonus! Oh and for Nintendo to flourish, you need some decent game studio support!

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]The Wii U has slightly better graphics than the PS3. The Wii has somewhat better graphics over the much older Game Cube.So at $250 with a single wireless-tablet remote, its not a bad deal... [/citation]
.... so what do you think it'll happen when the PS4 and Xbox 720 hit shelves? I think this gen will repeat all over again.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]womble[/nom]I don't see why people are dishing out the hate so much, the rumoured specs seem reasonably good for a console, certainly a decent bump over the current consoles. If they come in around the price hinted then they have a decent chance. I expect the usual rush followed by a lull whilst people hang around for Sony/Microsoft, the targeted price might give them something to think about.I very much doubt that either Sony or Microsoft will be releasing 12 core Ivybridge based systems with twin 680's or 79xx series gpus for $300, I suspect people may be a little disappointed. Realistically the expectations will be for a reasonable 720/1080 gaming experience with DX10/11 level graphics. Decent loading times would be a bonus! Oh and for Nintendo to flourish, you need some decent game studio support![/citation]

The reason people are worried is that the theoretical performance of the Wii U's hardware is only slightly better than the Xbox 360 and PS3, both of which are at the end of their effective lifecycles (as any PC gamer can tell you).

It is likely that a Xbox 720 or PS4 will have a DX11 capable card if only for tesselation (they've been out for a while; going on 3 years) and will have significantly more memory and cpu muscle.

Remember, MS and Sony strategy is to milk their systems for all that they can. So they have to aim high if they want that mythical 10 year lifecycle.

I'm not saying that they're going to be running dual 680's and a 12 core processor; that would be falling into the typical PC gamer trap of comparing console hardware to PC hardware. I'm just saying that MS and Sony are more likely than not to aim a little higher than slightly better than last gen.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Jarmo[/nom]I just don't get this. At all.The expensive/fragile looking controller suggests the target is on non-children, non-group play. Yet the controller also looks klunky and the machine specs weak, so the target is not on gamer gamers either. So who the heck are they targeting this at? Single, lonely, poor japanese males?Maybe they'll demo something amazing on it soon and change my mind, but right now I'm expecting this to be one massive flop.[/citation]

First this is made for Hardcore gamers also others the controller is not klunky rather it is lightweight yet feels very solid in the hands and it has been siad many many times in the last 2 E3s they have had

2. ther have been many 3rd party games shown off this last e3 on it and for some damn reason you want something to be shown off to WOW you Where the hell have you been cause they have shown off some great stuff just google or better yet yet youtube E3 Wii U and watch the many dozen gameplay videos

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]The Wii U has slightly better graphics than the PS3. The Wii has somewhat better graphics over the much older Game Cube.So at $250 with a single wireless-tablet remote, its not a bad deal... I assume it doesn't include a HD or DVD playback (which is stupid).[/citation]

ok the Wii U does full 1080p Hd output and the GPU inside the Wii U is a Radeon 7000 series GPU that has 1gb of Ram for the games Not tot system ram but 1gb just for games

Also the same Reason the Wii had no DVD playback ... You already own 100 devices in your house that play DVDs so why should nintendo pay for DVD playback licensing Fees

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]I'm not optimistic about the Wii U to be honest. It's spec'd to compete with the 360 and PS3 but is being released on the (theoretical) eve of the 360 and PS3's successors' release. They're fighting the tail end of a battle they already lost.I don't understand Nintendo at all though so who am I to talk. I don't virtually any of their games (except when I was young enough) and their business strategy doesn't make sense to me.[/citation]

The Wii U is running a Power 7 multi-core chip tho unerclocked a Radeon 7000 series card 4870 or so prolly with 1gb of ram just for games based on some developer interview s so n o it is not speced to match the 360 or PS3 as it is a next generation system to be relased this November while the Next Xbox and PS4 have not been shown off or talked about and wont prolly be released for another year or so

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-30-how-powerful-is-the-wii-u-really

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]master9716[/nom]Well put it this way , the PS3 has Dual 7800 with low DDR -the Will U will have an AMD 6750 or 6770 which by the way can run Battlefield 3 @ 6k Resolution with low settings and high textures. The 6770 is about 3 times more powerfull than the Ps3 plus the advantage of having more system ram and dx11. The Wii U should have more than enough power to run every single game out there right now at high settings including BF3 @ 1080p , will they enable 4k? probably not bc nintendo is dumb[/citation]

the Wii U runs a R700 series card meaning 4870 or so DX10 shader model 4.0 The PS3 is not a Dual 7800 card it is a single 7800 card the 7000 series nvidia cards from 2004 or so but still the 4870 outshiens what the PS3 and 360 could do combined

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Well put it this way , the PS3 has Dual 7800 with low DDR -the Will U will have an AMD 6750 or 6770 which by the way can run Battlefield 3 @ 6k Resolution with low settings and high textures. The 6770 is about 3 times more powerfull than the Ps3 plus the advantage of having more system ram and dx11. The Wii U should have more than enough power to run every single game out there right now at high settings including BF3 @ 1080p , will they enable 4k? probably not bc nintendo is dumb

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]The Wii U has slightly better graphics than the PS3. The Wii has somewhat better graphics over the much older Game Cube.So at $250 with a single wireless-tablet remote, its not a bad deal... I assume it doesn't include a HD or DVD playback (which is stupid).[/citation]

It supposedly is going to support Netflix and some other streaming content, so this one won't be as devoid of media as the Wii. I don't blame them at all, they don't manufacture drives like Sony does. They have to pay for those drives, a cost that would be passed onto the customer. It isn't good for them either since Wii/DS were so "pirate friendly" and easy to copy. Standard drives are quite easy to copy from. I support it, I don't need another DVD/BluRay player, thanks.

[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom].... so what do you think it'll happen when the PS4 and Xbox 720 hit shelves? I think this gen will repeat all over again.[/citation]

You mean the generation where the console outsold both of their competitors and got them tons of money? They would be so lucky.

[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]The reason people are worried is that the theoretical performance of the Wii U's hardware is only slightly better than the Xbox 360 and PS3, both of which are at the end of their effective lifecycles (as any PC gamer can tell you). It is likely that a Xbox 720 or PS4 will have a DX11 capable card if only for tesselation (they've been out for a while; going on 3 years) and will have significantly more memory and cpu muscle.Remember, MS and Sony strategy is to milk their systems for all that they can. So they have to aim high if they want that mythical 10 year lifecycle. I'm not saying that they're going to be running dual 680's and a 12 core processor; that would be falling into the typical PC gamer trap of comparing console hardware to PC hardware. I'm just saying that MS and Sony are more likely than not to aim a little higher than slightly better than last gen.[/citation]

So the Wii U will not be as powerful as the new XBox and PS4...so what? There's no guarantee that the XBox will even be powerful, MS is not showing a tendency towards power users these days and might not want a high end console. Sony's will be so high end it will cost quite a bit, and cater to people who are buying their 4k TVs as well. They want to sell the whole package. In a few years when 4k TVs might be more affordable, Nintendo could refresh their system. One thing is that people seem to act like Nintendo will be trapped with this hardware forever if it fails. They didn't jump on the 10 year commitment train. When there is a need for better hardware, They can release the Wii U 2.0 with a less underclocked PowerPC CPU and better graphics card if they want. The games will have been written for PowerPC, so it will still be able to play your current games.

Who cares? If these prices are correct, the Wii U will be cheap and allow me to play a few games which may not look the best but have some top notch gameplay. On the chance I do want my game to have high end graphics, I have a PC for that that will sink anything MS or Sony could possibly do. Best of both worlds, really.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
With PC hardware getting more powerful and prices dropping, there are maybe 3 reasons a knowledgeable gamer should even purchase a console.

1) There's a specific title they want to play that's not available on PC.
2) They like to play games with friends on the same screen.
3) They are unable to build their own PC (this isn't a good reason).

Plus, games through Steam, Amazon, and Origin are usually cheaper even outside of the holiday sales, where they're much, much cheaper.

Of course the Wii U is going to be under-powered. The "next-gen" Xbox and PS will also be under-powered. The last I heard, all 3 systems were going to using a variation of an AMD GPU that's basically as powerful as the HD 5670 I have sitting in my media PC -- which was an entry-level GPU 2 years ago. The days are gone when you could buy a console that was as nice as a high-end gaming PC. The new ones will maybe be on par with new entry-level gaming PCs. If they all don't come with GPUs that are at least as powerful as a HD 6870 or GTX 560, they're going to be complete failures in terms of graphics power.

There isn't a single person who plays games on PC that says, "Man, I really wish I had that console." There's a reason for that.

ikaz

Distinguished
Well at least there's one thing I hope to come of all these new consoles is that fact I have a feeling that both the new xbox and PS4 (sony said they choose wrong by going cell too complex) will use multi core CPU's. Now most game/graphic engines are being built for multiplat forms so it will hopefully force developers to code better across cores. I love to be able to use say a 4 or 8 quad cpu clocked at 2.0ghz accross all cores then have to buy a cpu@4.0Ghz with 2 or 6 cores pretty much idle.

Not too excited about it...

Hardcore gamers probably won't buy many. It's the games that sell the console and 3rd party Nintendo developers have focused too much on the kiddies leaving most non-casual gamers to enjoy the PS3 and X-Box systems more.

Casual gamers aren't likely to buy it either. They will likely tell you that they already have a wii system that they almost never play.

I think people underestimate the graphics potential of what is in the Wii U system.
I DO know what that graphics chip can do though (The performance is roughly equal to an HD 4890 or 5830) and I KNOW it will have pretty good graphics. Better than the PS3 or X-Box 360 for sure. All games could be made to play in full 1080p instead of 720p like most PS3 and X-Box games.

I didn't expect the Wii to out sell the PS3 and XBox consoles. (Due to casual gamer purchases of course)
I also didn't expect the XBox to be a more popular option than the PS3 but that $600 price tag was too much for many gamers. Eventually the price came down and leveled the playing field a bit but it always seemed that plenty of people had xbox's while far less had PS3's...

For next gen it's hard to say who will come out on top.
I'd be surpised if Nintendo come out on top but they DO have the advantage of being the first to the market and will likely be the cheapest option.

XBox has some momentum as owners have seen the console become closer and closer to a media center. I think they should play on that an allow bluray playback and a (seperate if needed) TV Tuner that would allow the system to act like a TiVo system.

For PS3 they need to push for the same TiVo ability but may need to have some kind of tricks up it's sleve to compete with the Kinect ability that will likely come on the new XBox and Nintendo's (likely) much lower price tag.

Hard to say right now, at this point it's anybody's game!! ;)

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I want a link to the past remake, over the top view with shadows and a dynamic weather day & night system. Then once you beat it they should do what the did in the original Zelda on the nes and move all the dungons around and change them.

Status
Not open for further replies.