Throttling with fx 8350

LairdEJM

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
Hey all,

I'm having an issue with My fx8350. Basically when I try and play a demanding game like dragon age inquisiton the Core frequencies will drop from 4000hz to 1400hz for several seconds resulting in massive fps drops. I'm assuming the issue is overheating?
My current setup is:
Mobo: M587AL-USB/3
CPU: Fx8350
CPU: Asetek LCLC (low cost liquid cooler)
GPU: gtx 970 twin frozr
RAM: 8GB

I'm wondering what (if anything) can be done to solve this annoying issue? I should point out that I recently replaced my CPU to the 8350 but I have the same problem both before and after.

Thanks all,

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
first of you have to start by replacing you motherboard the one you have now is well no nice way to put it pos and is not meant for 8 core fx chips it can barely handle the six core ones without throttling, problem will be your mobos vrm's they are overheating and have no chance of providing enough power for that chip, two options you have 1 replace mobo with something decent at least 6+1 vrm phase designs, 2. disable half the cores and run it like that.
But again those boards have a very old chipset, older than fx series themselves and it was never meant for something like fx chips when it was released, now they released those boards couple of years back to save costs, but they are not recommended for more than 4 core chips