Throwback: My HP 9000 712/60 setup...

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.next.hardware (More info?)

In article <1108161145.960776.142430@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Blake Patterson <blakespot@gmail.com> wrote:
>Got an HP 9000 712/60 for $20 and installed NeXTSTEP on it.

I have a 712/60 under my desk (although mine was free!) and it's
a nice machine. The display takes a little getting used to (especially
the stripes that appear in scrollback wells) but it's not a problem.

--
David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Research Associate, Ph.D. Candidate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

Blake Patterson wrote:

> Got an HP 9000 712/60 for $20 and installed NeXTSTEP on it. Took some
> pics and wrote a bit about it's interesting video hardware. Have a
> look if interested:
>
> http://www.bytecellar.com/archives/000040.php

What's the current state of NeXTSTEP? What's to be done with it?

My 712/80 is running debian (might go to gentoo) linux. It is a verry nice small
home-office-server.

You might find nice details about your hardware at http://www.openpa.net/
(http://www.openpa.net/systems/712.html)

Success with it.

CBee

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.next.hardware (More info?)

In article <4219e3ee$0$14123$4d4ebb8e@read.news.nl.uu.net>,
CBee <I.Dont@want.your.spam> wrote:

>What's the current state of NeXTSTEP? What's to be done with it?

What do you mean? NeXTSTEP won't see any further development, so from
that point of view, "nothing" is to be done with it. OTOH, it can still
be useful, so "stuff" is to be done with it. :)

--
David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Research Associate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

David Evans wrote:

> In article <4219e3ee$0$14123$4d4ebb8e@read.news.nl.uu.net>,
> CBee <I.Dont@want.your.spam> wrote:
>
>>What's the current state of NeXTSTEP? What's to be done with it?
>>

> What do you mean? NeXTSTEP won't see any further development, so from
> that point of view, "nothing" is to be done with it. OTOH, it can still
> be useful, so "stuff" is to be done with it. :)

Well, actually I know NeXTSTEP only from the mentioned site, that it was (is?)
available for a 712. I've never seen it any where.

Your pages make me curious to it. Do you have some internet pointers in where
and how to get a trial version or where I can see more information?

What I recall from 10 years ago (or longer) it was a verry prommising system,
kind of like where/what Apple-s OSX currently is.

while typing this, I have many more questions about it, like how it performs and
what is available for the system. On the other hand, it has to fight with many
other nice things I always wanted to do...

CBee

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.next.hardware (More info?)

In article <421db3ab$0$4076$4d4ebb8e@read.news.nl.uu.net>,
CBee <I.Dont@want.your.spam> wrote:
>David Evans wrote:
>
>> What do you mean? NeXTSTEP won't see any further development, so from
>> that point of view, "nothing" is to be done with it. OTOH, it can still
>> be useful, so "stuff" is to be done with it. :)
>>

>Well, actually I know NeXTSTEP only from the mentioned site, that it was (is?)
>available for a 712. I've never seen it any where.

Ahhh. Yes, HPPA support was introduced with 3.2 which came out,
what, October 1993ish? 3.3 was about a year later, I think. There
was no HPPA in 4.2, but I think there was in 4.0PRmumble.

>Your pages make me curious to it. Do you have some internet pointers in where
>and how to get a trial version or where I can see more information?

Information is spread all around, I'm afraid, and I don't have any
current links. There is no trial version as it contains material owned
by various organisations. However, 3.3 RISC CDs do show up on Ebay
from time to time.

>What I recall from 10 years ago (or longer) it was a verry prommising system,
>kind of like where/what Apple-s OSX currently is.

That's not too surprising, as OS X is basically NeXTSTEP 5.

>while typing this, I have many more questions about it, like how it
>performs and
>what is available for the system. On the other hand, it has to fight with many
>other nice things I always wanted to do...

It preforms pretty well on contemporary hardware and flies on modern
iron.

--
David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Research Associate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the composer
Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.next.hardware (More info?)

We've sold one or two 715s with NeXTStep over the years. I have a set of
CD media but it's awkward to install (I'm probably doing it wrongly).

On a 715/100 is really flies along. I've heard a B132 will also run it
but not tried. I know the 64 bit systems won't.

Nice OS. I almost bought a brand new NeXT when they first came out, very
expensive so bought my first BMW instead!

--
Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.next.hardware (More info?)

In article <421E058B.2708@unixnerd.demon.co.uk>,
John Burns <john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>We've sold one or two 715s with NeXTStep over the years. I have a set of
>CD media but it's awkward to install (I'm probably doing it wrongly).

I don't recall any major headaches getting it together on my 712.
Is the 715 somehow nastier?

--
David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Research Associate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the composer
Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.next.hardware (More info?)

On 11 Feb 2005 14:32:25 -0800, "Blake Patterson"
<blakespot@gmail.com> wrote:

>Got an HP 9000 712/60 for $20 and installed NeXTSTEP on it. Took some
>pics and wrote a bit about it's interesting video hardware. Have a
>look if interested:
>
>http://www.bytecellar.com/archives/000040.php

Hi, I've been lurking for a while.

I went to your site and found it very nice!

I suppose HP hardware is better than NeXT.

Cheers!

In comp.sys.hp.hardware David Evans <dfevans@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> I don't recall any major headaches getting it together on my 712.
> Is the 715 somehow nastier?

It may depend. There were something like six or seven different
9000/715's - the first three - the /33 /50 and /75 - predate the 712
and were based on one CPU and chipset that was not the same as the
9000/712's. The second three /64, /80 and /100 (and /100XC IIRC) were
based on the same CPU and chipset as the 712.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.next.hardware (More info?)

In article <I5qTd.564$5d7.39@news.cpqcorp.net>,
Rick Jones <foo@bar.baz.invalid> wrote:
>In comp.sys.hp.hardware David Evans <dfevans@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>> I don't recall any major headaches getting it together on my 712.
>> Is the 715 somehow nastier?
>
>It may depend. There were something like six or seven different
>9000/715's

Ahhh, OK. I'm not a PA-RISC guy at all. I have NS on my 712 and I used
to rlogin to something...a 735, maybe?...to read Usenet. But that's it.

--
David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Research Associate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the composer
Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.next.hardware (More info?)

In comp.sys.hp.hardware David Evans <dfevans@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Ahhh, OK. I'm not a PA-RISC guy at all. I have NS on my 712 and
> I used to rlogin to something...a 735, maybe?...to read Usenet.

The commands uname -a and/or model (under HP-UX at least) will tell
you what the box happens to be. The 9000/735 was a very nice system -
had one as my personal workstation for a while. It came in two
versions - the /99 and later the /125. One could select from Thinnet
(10Base-2), Ethernet AUI (to go to RJ45 with a transceiver or I
suppose even thicknet - 10Base-5 IIRC) or FDDI as the "core"
networking interface via what was called the "Slider" card - all the
I/O being given codenames based on baseball :)

The FDDI card offered checksum offload (CKO) akin to its HP-PB (aka
NIO) cousin, and did header-data split with help from the CPU (unlike
its HP-PB cousin which had room for an ASIC to determine the split).

Rick Jones wrote:
> In comp.sys.hp.hardware David Evans <dfevans@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>
>> I don't recall any major headaches getting it together on my 712.
>>Is the 715 somehow nastier?

> It may depend. There were something like six or seven different
> 9000/715's - the first three - the /33 /50 and /75 - predate the 712

Because HP-UX 10.20 (with CDE and everything) wasn't really workable on
my 715/33 (the older architecture) with only 32Mbyte RAM, I tried
NeXTSTEP 3.3/RISC on it. I found a CD-ROM somewhere and just booted it,
and it installed.

--
Alex.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.next.hardware (More info?)

> I suppose HP hardware is better than NeXT.

It's just been in continuous development for longer. HP got a big boost
when they bought Apollo in the early 90s. I run an HP C360 as my main
machine now, VERY fast and well made.

--

In comp.sys.next.hardware Rick Jones <foo@bar.baz.invalid> wrote:
> In comp.sys.hp.hardware David Evans <dfevans@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>> Ahhh, OK. I'm not a PA-RISC guy at all. I have NS on my 712 and
>> I used to rlogin to something...a 735, maybe?...to read Usenet.

> The commands uname -a and/or model (under HP-UX at least) will tell

ironically, this doesn't work in nextstep. it's also no picnic to get
uname to compile from source.

jeremy
jeremyb@cc.gatech.edu

This is very cool!. I always wanted a NeXT cube. Even got a few
programming books off ebay if I ever came across one. In the mean
time I just came into possession of a whole bunch of varios HP Risc
boxes and SCSI Storage towers etc. One of my units is the 712/60,
also have a 715/64. HOW Do I get ahold of a copy of NeXT Step OS to
install on this box?? Is buying it off eBay the only way?? Somebody
Help!?
Thanks,

Ed

TRENDING THREADS