Question Thumb drives giving 2-3 mb/s transfer speeds

Laserdogs

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
So after spending the last few hours moving things to and from my Acer Aspire, I've noticed something: all half a dozen of my thumb drives, regardless of manufacturer, seem to max out at about 3 mb/s write speed - pretty slow even considering the ports they're hooked up to are usb 2.0. Meanwhile, external HDDs hooked up to the same ports give a more expected 50-60 mb/s.

Tried restarting just to see of course, disabled antivirus, Windows claims no new drivers for my USB ports, BIOS doesn't look like it has any odd "enable USB 2.0/make USB not suck" type options... that's about the limit of what I know how to do. Anyone got any other ideas? I can't even say for sure this is a new problem, because until today I wasn't really moving any big files onto thumb drives using this laptop, so who knows, but now that I've noticed it I feel like I'm going nuts.

So after spending the last few hours moving things to and from my Acer Aspire, I've noticed something: all half a dozen of my thumb drives, regardless of manufacturer, seem to max out at about 3 mb/s write speed - pretty slow even considering the ports they're hooked up to are usb 2.0. Meanwhile, external HDDs hooked up to the same ports give a more expected 50-60 mb/s.

Tried restarting just to see of course, disabled antivirus, Windows claims no new drivers for my USB ports, BIOS doesn't look like it has any odd "enable USB 2.0/make USB not suck" type options... that's about the limit of what I know how to do. Anyone got any other ideas? I can't even say for sure this is a new problem, because until today I wasn't really moving any big files onto thumb drives using this laptop, so who knows, but now that I've noticed it I feel like I'm going nuts.
They are probably just slow USB sticks.