News Thunderbolt 5 Could Reach 80 Gbps, Leaked Picture Shows

Thunderbolt 5 could potentially offer higher refresh rates for 4K and 8K monitors, which it now supports at up to 120 and 60 Hz respectively.

4k...understandable if you have a huge monitor like an ultra wide.

8k? legit no reason to have 8k monitor when it wouldnt barely if even look any betetr than the 4k....especially when you could have a 4k at higher frame rate.

8k should only be on massive TV/projectors that actually benefit from that high fo a resolution.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
4k...understandable if you have a huge monitor like an ultra wide.

8k? legit no reason to have 8k monitor when it wouldnt barely if even look any betetr than the 4k....especially when you could have a 4k at higher frame rate.

8k should only be on massive TV/projectors that actually benefit from that high fo a resolution.

Partially correct. High resolutions benefit in TWO scenarios; #1 you mentioned when you have an extremely large image; #2 is when you are extremely CLOSE to an image like your eye being 1" from the screen in a VR set!

InvalidError

Titan
PAM3 isn't exactly new: in computer networking, it has been used for the mostly forgotten 100Base-T1/T4 and 1GBase-T1.

I wonder how much further they are going to push analog serial busses before going optical. Give it another decade and we'll probably see busses using QAM64 or possibly higher.

D

Deleted member 1353997

In addition to what @Dantte already said, a higher resolution means less reliance on AA, and therefore a simplified rendering pipeline and less potential for side effects (like how Saints Row 3 supports AA for geometry, but not for transparent textures, which just looks ridiculous).
Playing on a 27" 4K screen, I still notice aliasing in 4K. It's no longer as distracting as it used to be when I still played in 1080p, but it's still far from perfect. If I can buy a decent 27" 8K gaming screen, I will. I don't need other people telling me what I can or can't see, thank you very much.

InvalidError

Titan
a higher resolution means less reliance on AA, and therefore a simplified rendering pipeline
It doesn't "simplify the pipeline" all that much since most anti-aliasing methods are just super-sampling and some degree of multi-sampling is already being used during normal texture mapping to keep rotated, scaled and transformed textures from getting mangled beyond recognition.