Thursday Deals: Core i7 Laptops, Sega Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharris80

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]metalfellow[/nom]Lol, a pair of sunglasses named in honour of those who commit crimes.[/citation]

"Felon" LMAO!!!!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cybrcatter[/nom]I think I'm gonna grab a few of those SEGA Genesis systems for a few of my buddies for Christmas. Nostalgic gaming FTW[/citation]I was an arse and kneejerk downrated you and Glorian at first, but I realized that doesn't really help readers who don't know anything about clone systems. Sorry. Here's why I did it: I'm a huge Genesis fan. Firecore (and similar systems) suck bad compared to a real Genesis. They're piss poor chinese coded emulators running on ultra cheap junk hardware, and to say they are inferior to a true Genesis would be too nice. Heck, last I checked, Firecore, Retrogen, FC3, GenMobile, SG/FC dual action, Gencore, etc were all crappy like that.

The sound sucks seriously on a lot of games, and I've seen compatibility issues even with major titles like Phantasy Star IV. I love the Genesis version of Shadowrun also, but I wouldn't play it on anything but either a good emulator (for PC Kega Fusion is the best now), an original Genesis/Nomad, or even a GOAC (genesis on a chip, like the Radica unit).

A good GOAC system would be awesome, but unfortunetely the only one I can think of (Radica unit) would need to be modified to add a cartridge port. Ben Heck did it, he made a portable out of it called "Exodus".

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Thanks for the heads up mate. Fortunately I always do I little research before I actually buy anything, and you seem to be right on the money.

Too bad, that would have been a fun gift to give.

choujij

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Anyone remember the Genesis CDX? I still have mine (Genesis/SegaC/portable cd player all-in-one)

Two AA batteries lasted about an hour of cd time. While personal CD players have been replaced with mp3 players, I wonder how long it would take nowadays for hardware in an xbox360 to be slimmed down the the size of its cd drive and be able to run on 2 AAs as a portable cd player. =P

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]I was an arse and kneejerk downrated you and Glorian at first, but I realized that doesn't really help readers who don't know anything about clone systems. Sorry. Here's why I did it: I'm a huge Genesis fan. Firecore (and similar systems) suck bad compared to a real Genesis. They're piss poor chinese coded emulators running on ultra cheap junk hardware, and to say they are inferior to a true Genesis would be too nice. Heck, last I checked, Firecore, Retrogen, FC3, GenMobile, SG/FC dual action, Gencore, etc were all crappy like that. The sound sucks seriously on a lot of games, and I've seen compatibility issues even with major titles like Phantasy Star IV. I love the Genesis version of Shadowrun also, but I wouldn't play it on anything but either a good emulator (for PC Kega Fusion is the best now), an original Genesis/Nomad, or even a GOAC (genesis on a chip, like the Radica unit).A good GOAC system would be awesome, but unfortunetely the only one I can think of (Radica unit) would need to be modified to add a cartridge port. Ben Heck did it, he made a portable out of it called "Exodus".[/citation]
Thanks for the insight. I was about to buy this but then I saw the "Firecore" title and the "works with MOST Genisis games" in the description and became very suspicious. So I think I'll pass and stick with playing emulated games on the PC for free.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cybrcatter[/nom]I think I'm gonna grab a few of those SEGA Genesis systems for a few of my buddies for Christmas. Nostalgic gaming FTW[/citation]
A few words about nostalgic gaming: it loses it's nostalgia after about 5 minutes.

mharris80

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]I was an arse and kneejerk downrated you and Glorian at first, but I realized that doesn't really help readers who don't know anything about clone systems. Sorry. Here's why I did it: I'm a huge Genesis fan. Firecore (and similar systems) suck bad compared to a real Genesis. They're piss poor chinese coded emulators running on ultra cheap junk hardware, and to say they are inferior to a true Genesis would be too nice. Heck, last I checked, Firecore, Retrogen, FC3, GenMobile, SG/FC dual action, Gencore, etc were all crappy like that. The sound sucks seriously on a lot of games, and I've seen compatibility issues even with major titles like Phantasy Star IV. I love the Genesis version of Shadowrun also, but I wouldn't play it on anything but either a good emulator (for PC Kega Fusion is the best now), an original Genesis/Nomad, or even a GOAC (genesis on a chip, like the Radica unit).A good GOAC system would be awesome, but unfortunetely the only one I can think of (Radica unit) would need to be modified to add a cartridge port. Ben Heck did it, he made a portable out of it called "Exodus".[/citation]

Man, that sucks. Thanks for the heads-up, though. Guess I'll stick with emulators for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.