News Tiger Lake CPUs Surface With Improved Specs Amid Looming Intel Announcement

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
Only gold samples are used for i7, just check how low is i5 - 4.8 vs 4.2. Their 10nm + or ++ is still trash and they can't bring more cores, because of that.

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
How trash is it?

They have few good cores, but most of the production is trash, and that is why i5 is only 4.2, and i7 just 4 cores. Their production is not enough for 8/16 i7 with 4.7+ and i5 with higher clocks. They need another year to refine this process, because is not enough even for their mobile market.

Only gold samples are used for i7, just check how low is i5 - 4.8 vs 4.2. Their 10nm + or ++ is still trash and they can't bring more cores, because of that.
They have the same amount of threads though so obviously intel had to make them less desirable somehow and the only options are remove HTT or lower clocks.If the i5 would be running at 4.5 nobody would buy the i7.

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
The only trash I see here is your trash talk about Intel. But let’s follow your own (non-)logic for a moment.
  1. Would you say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on AMD’s 3950X release? (Its launch even delayed due to the extreme binning required to make it hit (even intermittently) 4.7GHz on a single core).
  2. Would you say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on the scarce availability of the higher-frequency 3000 Ryzen cpus during the first 6 months of their production?
  3. Would you say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on the fact that for AMD’s 3000-series cpus the all-core turbo (even with OCing) is only 4.2-4.4GHz?
  4. Would you say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on the fact that the 3800X is priced $70 more than the 3700X and that for a mere 100MHz higher single-core frequency (and an intermittent one at that)?
  5. Would say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on the fact that the XT lineup is priced $70+ more than the X lineup?
  6. Would you say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on the fact that AMD's biggest CPU die is only an octacore, it was an octacore and will remain an octacore?
  7. Would you say the same about TSMC's 7nm based on the fact that it took AMD a YEAR to release the equivalent CPU die with integrated graphics?

Would you, by your own logic, call TSMC’s 7nm trash? No, you wouldn’t. Because that doesn’t serve your anti-Intel sentiment. It doesn’t serve your trash talk against the competitor of your beloved AMD.

Don Frenser

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
Maybe this time they actually launch something as opposed to the last 5 "launches".

Toiletpaper was the only thing it was good for.

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
The only trash I see here is your trash talk about Intel. But let’s follow your own (non-)logic for a moment.
  1. Would you say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on AMD’s 3950X release? (Its launch even delayed due to the extreme binning required to make it hit (even intermittently) 4.7GHz on a single core).
  2. Would you say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on the scarce availability of the higher-frequency 3000 Ryzen cpus during the first 6 months of their production?
  3. Would you say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on the fact that for AMD’s 3000-series cpus the all-core turbo (even with OCing) is only 4.2-4.4GHz?
  4. Would you say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on the fact that the 3800X is priced $70 more than the 3700X and that for a mere 100MHz higher single-core frequency (and an intermittent one at that)?
  5. Would say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on the fact that the XT lineup is priced $70+ more than the X lineup?
  6. Would you say the same about TSMC’s 7nm based on the fact that AMD's biggest CPU die is only an octacore, it was an octacore and will remain an octacore?
  7. Would you say the same about TSMC's 7nm based on the fact that it took AMD a YEAR to release the equivalent CPU die with integrated graphics?
Would you, by your own logic, call TSMC’s 7nm trash? No, you wouldn’t. Because that doesn’t serve your anti-Intel sentiment. It doesn’t serve your trash talk against the competitor of your beloved AMD.

1. Yes TSMC must to improve their process and they did
  2. ^^^^^
  3. 4.3-4.4 and 4.5 for 3950 is only 200mhz bellow the max frequency, not that bad.
  4. 10850-10900 and many many others like 8700 and 8086
  5. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  6. It is 8-core for better price and clocks, that is why intel is 5 years on the same place.
  7. It is not only TSMC problem, but more AMD delaying it

TSMC 7nm was trash in the beginning and it is better and better with every month. Sorry, I am not blind fanboy like you. You will stay forever on the same place like intel until you start to think, try it, does not hurt.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Their linux patches show a Tiger Lake-H will happen, and their recent presentations indicate Tiger Lake's SuperFin process will go out to 65W,

A few leaks have reported an 8 core Tiger Lake-H.

I suspect their Tiger Lake U is limited due to Intel's choice to include the fancy GPU with 8K60 capability, av1 hardware decoding, the integrated Thunderbolt 4 and WIFI6 features, the avx512 and AI dlboost per core features. They also added 4 lanes of PCIE4 for the latest SSDs.

It's just a trade-off ... useful io and simd processing features vs more cores.

Dsplover

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
I’ll take a Tiger Lake quad as long as the cache has increased.
Don’t need Xe but single core performance on an Intel Core is still King, perfect for my low latency needs.

My AMD builds can be 8 Cores with acceptable latency as my workhorses.
Waiting for a custom X570 from ASRockRack I ordered a month ago.
Vermeers or Cezzanes is what Im waiting for.

Hope to see some great competition.
Intel took a beating. You know they have to deliver now.

cheerz

mcgge1360

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
Trash compared to WHAT? A DESKTOP CPU? 4.8GHz is FAR beyond any other mainstream AMD laptop CPU, and still better than their DESKTOP CPUs. AMD only got around to a mainstream 6 and 8 core laptop CPU (without smt) this year. Before it was 4/8 for the Ryzen 7.