Tilera Goes After AMD, Intel, With 100-Core CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
PC World: "The chips will start shipping next year, with the 100-core chip scheduled to ship in early 2011. Volume pricing for the chips will range from US$400 to $1,000. ".

It's hope it's interresting technology because power core could be not optimazed for something like SSE/SSE2+ instructions... and lose all theirs power cores for stupid math instructions.

"ten-times better compute efficiency"... I like to see is this us not just for show off. This could be just an a 100x math calculator...

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Are you guys crazy? Excessive? REALLY?

Get out of the gamer world and into the server arena. The farm that I manage is hosts to over 6000 connections at any given time ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING. Having 100 cores will reduce my need for multiple servers, large expensive servers, cooling equipment and wiring to say the least.

Expand your mind past PC use!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Guess we'll just have to wait for the q4 2010( I bet there's gonna be like a thousand delays) to see if this is true, and if it's really good. Not to mention it's skyrocket price-range.

sycon

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
[citation][nom]cyberkuberiah[/nom]these processors are for servers with massive number of threads running , not for our average desktop ![/citation]

Not only that, but there's definitely the possibility for the lower end versions such as the 16 and 32 cores to be useful in the desktop market. Windows 7 was designed to be largely scalable as to the number of cores thus allowing higher performance from multiple cores even if single applications are not designed to utilize that many cores. Granted 100 cores would be excessive since very few desktop users will even execute 100 concurrent processes or even 25 or 50 multi-threaded processes. But the possibility for improved latency and performance is there.

[citation][nom]cyberkuberiah[/nom]the upcoming nvidia fermi has 512 cores with a coding model somewhat more similar to traditional SMP systems , with 16 concurrent kernels (independent code) at one time . think massively parallel , guys . fermi , larrabee , HPC etc . how about ray tracing on one of these ?[/citation]

Not true cores though. And thats where this stands out. Much like Intels Terascale, this will have many simple cores. Fermi is more like ATIs HD5K series that has 1600 shader "cores". Not true but still do the job.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
well if they make software to be scalable then this could take off. Software makers new a longtime ago that this would happen it about time they started to develop for it. It be nice if the company also provided the tools to developed for such a chip. you would not need a physics card if you have 100 cores. I always have lag when i am doing something i wish things would just happen on a computer even if it is crappy programing. Do you know how long it takes Adode reader to load, by then i am already off reading some other website.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Tilera processors use a kind of MIPS-ish ISA, rather than x86 (or even ARM). That means you have to start with a MIPS toolchain (and probably some proprietary stuff on top of it) to compile software for these things. Obviously, no Windows or MS Server support. I think your OS options are going to be exclusively *NIX here.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
not really into ray tracing as i believe they could have developed something better but money talks. It about time in pc that we get blown away by something everything just bin interesting and more colorful but not really amazing. i feel we are only on the edge of a brake threw but it take awhile for it to become mainstream.

G

didnt like transmeta ant others try such things? they announced something really great, but when they finally released they technology had caught up and the processors just sucked and nobody got em

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
this could really be useful, and if they are successful in the server market, im sure they could easily promote a desktop cpu and chipset.

Mysteic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Sounds like someone plugged the GPU into the wrong socket location. This can work if OS's were massively paralleled systems like image rendering.....but they are not. Without proper multi-threading or on chip system management, this is pointless for consumer use.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
It's a good thing there's more competition because it usually drive product price down but I don't know if the price range of Tilera's CPUs are going to even affect the price of current CPUs... and then again there's the fact that Tilera's CPU may cost more than an arm and a leg ;x and whether or not today applications can fully utilize 100 cores

Status
Not open for further replies.